Black Widow

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
A better alternative might be to base Thanos's motivation on his love of Death as they did in the comics. That's pretty dark, though.
What?! And have Disney miss the opportunity to preach to us about the real world evil of population increases and consumption of resources?

S'mon

Legend
I went with my son. He seemed to enjoy, but I found it pretty dreary at least the last half. The villain was pathetic, his lair was too silly, and there was no exploration of the Red Room.

I can imagine an alternative finale for Black Widow, where instead of breaking into a ludicrous sky fortress, she instead has to sneak into an underground facility Mission Impossible-style. I would have liked to see some heist shennanigans; deadly traps, security measures, gadgets. They could have gone all out with this.

But it seems they had only one idea: Black Widow sliding down the side of a crashing fortress. It was all over every trailer for this movie. It felt like they had this sequence finished before they had shot a single scene, or written any story.

Stalker0

Legend
So reading the latest reports, seems that while the movie had a very good opening weekend it’s dropped heavily in the second, and based on new predictions it will be in “captain America: first avenger” numbers. Still a financial success of course but not a great success by modern marvel standards.

though that may be less a dig at the movie itself and more on the “theater + streaming” simultaneous release model. Black widow + the next series of movies this year may determine if that model will remain or if they will return to “theater first” once more

CapnZapp

Legend
Still a financial success of course but not a great success by modern marvel standards.
This reads as if they're comparing the movie to pre-covid numbers. But they are surely not, because that would be insane.

Can it be theatre owners grasping at straws trying to argue we need to return to the old model?

I'm reminded of the county(?) that proscribed every newfangled "automobile" needed a man with a red flag walking ahead, you know as a reasonable safety precaution that totally wasn't intended to protect the interests of horse carriage shops...

hopeless

Adventurer
In a few months time subscriber's of Disney+ won't even have to pay for premium access to watch this movie so why would anyone go to the cinema to watch this movie then?

No wonder they're pissed!

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
In a few months time subscriber's of Disney+ won't even have to pay for premium access to watch this movie so why would anyone go to the cinema to watch this movie then?

Offering it on streaming now is Disney hedging their bets in case of people being skittish about returning to theaters. The box office numbers may have dropped, but we don’t know what effect it has had on Disney+ viewing. Only Disney knows that.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator

I have Disney+, but I went to see Black Widow to the cinema. In the same vein, I went to see Nomadland and that movie is available without paying premium access. Personally, I enjoy much more seeing movies in the theaters than at home.

Stalker0

Legend

According to their research, there are a good portion of people that would pay to watch something when it comes out, even if it’s freely offered later.

further, putting it on streaming early increases piracy and the amount of people that would see it through shared passwords and large viewings (aka one person buys it and several people watch it)

now BW is one datapoint, the movies that continue to come out this year will ultimately shake their viewpoint on the best model going toward.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I neither went to the cinema, nor am I waiting for it to be free. I paid for it on Disney+. It was £19.99, which is much less than it would cost the three of us who watched it to go to the cinema.

Remove ads