Black Widow

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I neither went to the cinema, nor am I waiting for it to be free. I paid for it on Disney+. It was £19.99, which is much less than it would cost the three of us who watched it to go to the cinema.
Yeah, $30 for us is less than a family of 4 going to see it too. Even so, my son did go to the theater to see it, but it was also as a first date actually out of the house so kind of a special occasion.

GreyLord

Legend
I have Disney+, I went and saw this in the theater (as I am vaccinated and who knows how long until the Delta variant makes us all want to isolate and avoid each other again...so took the opportunity while I can...went to a matinee showing which has less people in the theater though to avoid mass crowds still).

I'm not sure streaming is the answer to making the money back that they would have if it was theater only though...as long as it is SAFE for some people to go to the theater in the first place.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
You ever notice that people in these threads wag their fingers at the things Black Widow and the Scarlet Witch do in their own movies/TV series, but other characters like Tony Stark aren't taken to task for getting into big, reckless urban fights that put significantly more people at risk?

I wonder what that's about...

DrunkonDuty

he/him
You ever notice that people in these threads wag their fingers at the things Black Widow and the Scarlet Witch do in their own movies/TV series, but other characters like Tony Stark aren't taken to task for getting into big, reckless urban fights that put significantly more people at risk?

Yes. Yes I have.

Stalker0

Legend
In all fairness, the Ironman movies already address Tony's reckless behavior themselves. It is pretty much the focus of the movies.
Indeed, especially in the first one when the movie goes out of its way to acknowledge what a jerk stark is. Hell even as late as Spider-Man: far from home, the villain is generated as a result of Tony has been in the past.

contrast that with Scarlet Witch in wandavision. She holds an entire town hostage, and exposes them to effectively torture (as confirmed with Monica rambeau’s report). And yet Monica goes out of her way to defend Wanda from Sword and even defends Wanda to the town, saying “they don’t know what you have been through”

At no point does Wanda suffer consequences for her actions, nor does she really show remorse for what she did.

Black Widow is similar. At no point are her criminal acts mentioned by others or put in any negative light (such as killing every single person in that prison through the avalanche), she is the protagonist and therefore all acts are justified.

now plenty of movies use that trope…but Ironman did not, hence why you see people calling it out on one and not the other

Exactly. Further more, Tony Stark's feelings of guilt over the death of a boy he didn't even know, during Age of Ultron, is the primary reason for him signing the Sokovia accords in Captain America: Civil War. Tony Stark taking responsibility for the deaths and damage caused by the Avengers, is the central conflict of that movie.

So if it seems we never wag our fingers at Tony Stark, it is because we don't have to. The movies already do that for us. Often Tony Stark's reckless behavior is the source of the conflict in his movies; the movies portray him as a flawed character and highlight that his actions are wrong.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
No, not really. I see plenty of discussion about characters like Batman and Superman and the destruction they cause. So much, that it pretty much always takes over the conversation, especially the latter.

And Stark? Even the movies themselves take him to task for his recklessness.

There’s definitely a lot of sexism about, but I don’t think this is an example of it.

MarkB

Legend
Exactly. Further more, Tony Stark's feelings of guilt over the death of a boy he didn't even know, during Age of Ultron, is the primary reason for him signing the Sokovia accords in Captain America: Civil War. Tony Stark taking responsibility for the deaths and damage caused by the Avengers, is the central conflict of that movie.
That wasn't Stark taking responsibility. That was him wanting to hand off responsibility to a faceless organisation.

And yeah, I've commented vocally to that effect on previous threads in this forum

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus

But, "Hulk smash!" is like really cool, so that makes it okay. ;)

Remove ads