• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blade of Blood (PHB II)

joshjurg

Explorer
Hi - I am looking for some advice on the spell "Blade of Blood" from phb2. I am wondering if it would apply to a composite longbow. The spell does not specify "melee weapons only", but states that if the weapon leaves the caters hand, the spell dissipates. If I cast it on the bow, does it still get the damage bonus on that first shot ?

frankthedm

First Post
No. Unless an effect says it causes projectile weapons to bestow a quality on thier ammuntion, it does not bestow said quality on said ammo.

You might be able to cast BoB on the bow and then use the bow as an improvised melee weapon, but the spell dissipates long before it reaches an enemy if somehow placed on a ranged weapon.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
joshjurg said:
Hi - I am looking for some advice on the spell "Blade of Blood" from phb2. I am wondering if it would apply to a composite longbow. The spell does not specify "melee weapons only", but states that if the weapon leaves the caters hand, the spell dissipates. If I cast it on the bow, does it still get the damage bonus on that first shot ?
First, to clarify, it is the wielder, not the caster, who must hold it, so it can be cast on an ally's weapon, but not cast on a weapon which is then handed to an ally.

That said, I would take "drops it or otherwise loses contact with it" to include ranged weapons and thus not allow it. Even without that, though, the spells specifically says "The next time this weapon strikes a living creature..." and does not have the boilerplate language of ranged weapons transferring this quality to their ammunition, so it can't be used on a bow for two reasons.

Remove ads