• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Blade Ward - Best Fix?

Tersival

First Post
As a bonus action it means it's useful to all classes while still taking up an important resource. The balance of it is that it only works against one attack.

I think I like this best and I’m inclined to include it as an alternative casting option so that if you know the Blade Ward cantrip, you can cast it a/p PHB standard for protection against multiple weapon attacks for a round, or as a bonus action for protection against one attack.

Pickles III

First Post
As a bonus action it means it's useful to all classes while still taking up an important resource. The balance of it is that it only works against one attack.

Bonus actions are only an important resource if you have bonus actions to use. So not for most Eldritch knights, wizards or warlocks who can spam this while chopping or Firebolting or Eldritch blasting.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I've also used it a lot with a fighter/bladelock build in Heavy Armor with with Heavy Armor Master. Cast Armor of Agathys (duration 1 hour) and then cast Bladeward - either when you are about to enter a room in a dungeon or cast it and deliberately provoke an opp attack. They hit you and take damage from the Armor of Agathys, and your damage is reduced by 3 and then cut in half, which preserves the temp HP from Armor of Agathys and allows you to take multiple hits before it ends.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
I made it ranged so you can buff an ally with it. Doesn't much increase the power level but makes it useful more often IMO.

I'd agree that both of the OP's versions are too powerful. Not sure about the bonus action version, probably want to see how it worked at the table.

Pickles III

First Post
I made it ranged so you can buff an ally with it. Doesn't much increase the power level but makes it useful more often IMO.

I'd agree that both of the OP's versions are too powerful. Not sure about the bonus action version, probably want to see how it worked at the table.

That too sounds massively powerful as it is often better to keep your tanky dude up than plink with firebolts. Probably my favourite buff if you need to buff it option as at least it helps other people.

I've also used it a lot with a fighter/bladelock build in Heavy Armor with with Heavy Armor Master. Cast Armor of Agathys (duration 1 hour) and then cast Bladeward - either when you are about to enter a room in a dungeon or cast it and deliberately provoke an opp attack. They hit you and take damage from the Armor of Agathys, and your damage is reduced by 3 and then cut in half, which preserves the temp HP from Armor of Agathys and allows you to take multiple hits before it ends.

I have played this character too. If the spell is useful for a few builds it's good enough, it does not need to be best for everyone (we have Misty Step, Shield & Fireball for that)

Corwin

Explorer
Both OP variants are OP, IMO. ;)

I believe the cantrip is fine as-is. Making it so good you feel compelled to not only put it on your character sheet, but want to use it every round, is a sign its too good for a cantrip.

jaelis

That too sounds massively powerful as it is often better to keep your tanky dude up than plink with firebolts. Probably my favourite buff if you need to buff it option as at least it helps other people.
Interesting, I haven't found it so. It's certainly useful this way, but firebolts are useful too.

Corwin said:
I believe the cantrip is fine as-is. Making it so good you feel compelled to not only put it on your character sheet, but want to use it every round, is a sign its too good for a cantrip.
I agree, but I feel like the book version is almost provably a trap. Maybe it makes sense for an EK with war magic who fights on the front line by himself, but even then I think you have to look carefully at whether the damage you avoid using BW outweighs the damage you give up.

Corwin

Explorer
I agree, but I feel like the book version is almost provably a trap. Maybe it makes sense for an EK with war magic who fights on the front line by himself, but even then I think you have to look carefully at whether the damage you avoid using BW outweighs the damage you give up.
Its the same amount of damage you give up casting minor illusion. But minor illusion doesn't cut damage you take from a weapon in half. So by your tight criteria, blade ward should be a better cantrip than minor illusion.

jaelis

Its the same amount of damage you give up casting minor illusion. But minor illusion doesn't cut damage you take from a weapon in half. So by your tight criteria, blade ward should be a better cantrip than minor illusion.

Used correctly, minor illusion should prevent one or more attacks entirely :) Plus it has a slew of out-of-combat uses, so it doesn't seem like a useful comparison to me. Something like firebolt is a more direct competitor: usually if you would use one, you might also use the other.

An exception of course is if you can cast blade ward right before combat starts, so it doesn't have any opportunity cost. (And assuming that you are a character who is likely to be targeted in the first round of combat.) If that situation comes up a lot at your table then I can see how the book version would be attractive for you. I've found that doesn't happen much at mine.

Remove ads