• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bladeling questions

Omegaxicor

First Post
for those who don't know Bladeling is a monster from MM2, now I have two questions about it:

1) easiest being "DR 5/+1 (Slashing and Piercing only)" means what? any Blunt weapon penetrates or is it immune to Blunt weapons and only +1 slashing/piercing weapons work?

2) How does the loss of a power effect CR, the creature is CR 1 (with a DR that requires +1 weapons to bypass????) with a 1/day power "Razor Storm" which deals 2d6 damage in a 15"-cone (after use it loses +2 Natural AC, which to me says it's +4 Natural AC should allow 2/day but w/e). Is it too weak without it or strong enough anyway?

the idea is that it has already fought a group that day and killed them, it may have taken damage but I think that would make it too weak so I'll just say it has rested and healed but is still without it's use of Razor Storm.

I would post it's full stats but I am not sure I am allowed, copyright and all...

Last edited:

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Based on the Bladeling's appearance in Planes of Law (2e), they should be immune to piercing and slashing weapons, but blunt works fine (or any magic weapon).

Omegaxicor

First Post
I have discovered that somehow MM2 is 3rd Edition not 3.5, that makes no sense but again w/e, it is updated though.

EDIT 2: Ignore the Twig Blight (and I will remember NOT to use MM2 anymore...ever...under any circumstances) but the main question remains, is "DR 5/Magic Bludgeoning" Magic AND Bludgeoning or Magic OR Bludgeoning and is the loss of Razor Storm a big deal?

Last edited:

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
the main question remains, is "DR 5/Magic Bludgeoning" Magic AND Bludgeoning or Magic OR Bludgeoning
Any magic weapon will work. Non-magical bludgeoning weapons will work. Non-magical piercing weapons and non-magical slashing weapons will not work.

and is the loss of Razor Storm a big deal?
If this particular bladeling is a level 1 warrior with no other special attacks, then yes (it's losing its best attack). If it's a 9th-level sorcerer with a bunch of fireballs, then probably not (it will almost always have something better to do with its standard action).

Omegaxicor

First Post
Any magic weapon will work. Non-magical bludgeoning weapons will work. Non-magical piercing weapons and non-magical slashing weapons will not work.

Magic OR Bludgeoning, got it, thanks

If this particular bladeling is a level 1 warrior with no other special attacks, then yes (it's losing its best attack). If it's a 9th-level sorcerer with a bunch of fireballs, then probably not (it will almost always have something better to do with its standard action).

yea, sorry I meant it is a CR 1 Monster, so Level 1, what would you make it's CR then, 1/2?

Last edited:

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
While I don't have a Greek letter as part of my username, I thought I would just point out that the Monster Manual II 3.5 Update Booklet gives the Bladeling a DR value of 5/magic bludgeoning, so normal bludgeoning weapons are still affected by the Bladeling's DR by 3.5 rules. DRs that are X or Y specifically have the word "or" in the DR description.

Omegaxicor

First Post
While I don't have a Greek letter as part of my username, I thought I would just point out that the Monster Manual II 3.5 Update Booklet gives the Bladeling a DR value of 5/magic bludgeoning, so normal bludgeoning weapons are still affected by the Bladeling's DR by 3.5 rules. DRs that are X or Y specifically have the word "or" in the DR description.

I thought I should just point out that DRs that are X and Y specifically have the word "and" in the DR description, hence why I asked.

I have bounced back and forth several times and decided I don't know, GX.Sigma says "Or" and Rabulias says "And", we need a tiebreaker

anyone?

I remembered it as "magic bludgeoning" meaning AND. But I've remembered wrong before, and I've been playing Pathfinder. I do think someone specifically commented on this question in the FAQs at some point. Failing that, compare it to other monsters and see if AND or OR specifically spelled out as a rule.

Omegaxicor

First Post
I remembered it as "magic bludgeoning" meaning AND. But I've remembered wrong before, and I've been playing Pathfinder. I do think someone specifically commented on this question in the FAQs at some point. Failing that, compare it to other monsters and see if AND or OR specifically spelled out as a rule.

admittedly I don't have the Monster Manual memorised but all the monsters I recall specifically call out OR/AND and the glossary says it should be spelled out, but this was a conversion rather than a printed book so I guess standards are less

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_damagereduction&alpha=D

"A few other creatures require combinations of different types of attacks to overcome their damage reduction. The sorrowsworn demon has damage reduction 10/cold iron and good, meaning that a weapon must be made of cold-forged iron and be good-aligned to overcome the demon's damage reduction."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads