• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blank Slate IC

Avalon®

First Post
WarlockLord said:
" I did not create these men from whole cloth. I merely took the monkeys that hopped uselessly around, and toyed with their essence. That is quite easily entropy, as nature is entropic: The losers are destroyed and decay. (This is why I feel empathy with Byrrl) I merely needed proxies."

"Did you hear that Byrrl? You affronted me for transmuting a badger and a mole into my servants, and he is here boasting that he created men from monkeys which are surely a more developed kind of fauna. Did you know of this?

Addressing once more the god of entropy, Ilem Nth Sabbatur speaks. "This still does not change the fact that you taught them something that was my dominion to begin with. If you wanted them to learn of matters of war, all you had to do was to ask. I sense that you are planning a major conflict in the near future. Perhaps they would need better tools of war than just mere sharpened sticks?"

He then addresses the Empyrean. "I am afraid that what I am will not bring you much pleasure. I am a being of the earth, (one of the elements that was spawned from you), of innovation, progrees, and invention, and of conflict and war. These last things, conflict and war, are events that have already happened and will occure more in the future. I sense that you, yourself, have experienced this event not too long ago."

GlassEye

Adventurer
Byrrl thinks on Ilem's words. "No, I was not aware of this. However, this must have been accomplished while I was still coming into my power or the changes wrought by Hash'Mileak would have alerted me. It is done, and the thought of uncreating them abhors me, nor do I desire the humans for myself. You have your dwarves and gnomes, Hash'Mileak shall have his humans. Still, they bear the thread of life and that charge has been granted me by the Empyrean; because of that I cannot help but feel their presence and know how they fare in the world."

Considering the matter closed, Byrrl glances around and spots the unknown god who worked his power upon the adamantine moon. "Brother, you are unknown to me and your actions saved the lives of many of my creatures. Come, make yourself known to us and tell me what I may do to repay you."

Ambrus

Explorer
Avalon(r) said:
He then addresses the Empyrean. "I am afraid that what I am will not bring you much pleasure. I am a being of the earth, (one of the elements that was spawned from you), of innovation, progress, and invention, and of conflict and war. These last things, conflict and war, are events that have already happened and will occur more in the future. I sense that you, yourself, have experienced this event not too long ago."
The Empyrean shines its light down to warm the surface of the hulking stone and metal behemoth.Ilem Nth Sabbatur, Lord of Earth, I am indeed pleased that the staunchest of the elements that I created has given rise to a divinity such as yourself. One might assume in error that the stolid earth may be unyielding and torporific but your own dedication to improvement and conflict speaks of a dynamic spirit possessed of vicissitude. In my sight you share much in common with your sister Pluvios, Mistress of the sea.

You are correct that my own genesis itself was born of a conflict between what was to be and what was not. I have of late grown conscious that conflict is necessary to keep creation from growing lifeless and inert. You yourself however seem to have possessed this insight from your very beginning and so your sovereignty over matters of the earth, innovation and dynamic conflict is unparalleled in my sight. Please accept my sincerest blessing of your dominion over these things, to continue to manage as you see fit.

If I may offer a few humble words of wisdom however; please remember that there will be no progress or innovation in the wake of wars that lead to mass destruction. The spheres which you champion must be carefully balanced against each other lest they lead you and your charges to misfortune.

Pray tell me Ilem Nth Sabbatur, have you likewise endeavoured to adapt, cherish and guide creatures of your own design as have your kin?

Jemal

Adventurer
"Once you know me, you will not be so pleased, for I bring that which all fear."

Jemal steps forwards. "Change in its deepest aspect. The cycle of life and death. Many died, and many were spared. But as you may notice, not all of those who died have moved on to Hash'mileak's domain. They will be reborn, for I am Jemal, and I have brought with me these things."
He grins and nods to the other gods, who sense both life and death in him. "On the planet below, some of those who died have allready risen.. Ghosts, ghouls, and other creatures of the undead. They were slain before it was their time, but the direct actions of a god. As such, their souls could not find peace, and I have given them physical form. THESE are my creatures."

At the same time, however, the dead are being eaten by other creatures, their leftovers becoming nutrients for the soil and new trees growing in their place. This is my gift back to you for what I take. If things were only to die, the direct intervention of gods would be needed to keep them going. Now, however, death will return to life, which will return to death. In this way, the balance will be kept and neither will reign supreme. We are immortal and all powerful. If we chose to, any of us could likely end all of that life.. and another could recreate it. Why bother then, why not let them live their own, and guide them? See what happens?"

Jemal turns to face Bryll again "Do you still wish to thank me?"

*OOC: And yes, Jemal does tend to ramble and say some weird stuff. That's his nature.*

GlassEye

Adventurer
"Without death, life would soon overwhelm the earth. Without decay, the dead would soon bury the living. This is as it must be. But these new creatures of yours I do not know." Byrrl recedes from the presence of the other gods but for a moment to explore the essence of these creatures of Jemal's. Having difficulty finding them at first, Byrrl soon learns to locate the Undead by their absence of life. Examining several in rapid succession he grows more and more horrified and returns to the assembly of the gods.

Byrrl reappears, leaves trembling with suppressed emotion, and unable to speak for long moments. Finally, he composes himself enough to speak. "These things are ambling corpses and the twisted essence of the once living consigned to a torturous wandering outside the cycle of life and death! They disgust me, you god of contradictions, but I made you an offer and I will not take it back: many of my creatures were saved by your actions and I would repay that."

Jemal

Adventurer
"There IS nothing outside the cycle, except for us. You merely do not understand.
However, I do have a request... I wish to know that if the other gods decide they want to directly interfere.. to eliminate an entire species, or.. say.. these abominations.. that you will assist me in opposing them."

GlassEye

Adventurer
Byrrl hesitates and in the hesitation it is clear that the thought of destroying what he considers Jemal's abominations has crossed his mind. However, despite suspecting that he is being manipulated for a purpose that he doesn't yet understand, he speaks, "Agreed. Perhaps I don't fully understand your province but I will think on the meaning of it."

Jemal

Adventurer
The strange one nods. "Such is how you show your true self. You have agreed to not directly interfere, though these 'druids' you teach, born of the humans and trained by life, shall abhor my people. Their powers will directly oppose the energies of my undead, just as Life and Death, Light and Darkness, Sanity and Madness, oppose and Balance one another.."
With that, he turns to finally adress the sun-god. "And what say you, original creator of life? Have you thoughts on my "abomination's", or do you have the wisdom to see the balance inherent in the Universe? I would assume that even yourself has a balancing point, though it be unknown to us."

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
A whisper comes from a shadow near Jemal...a soft female voice that emanates from a thickening of the gloom therein.

I wonder if you've thought this through. Death. Life. Mortality. You seek peace, but is it possible? Is death to be a part of life...or life a part of death? There is only one coin, Jemal, and two gods who wish it. Sooner or later, one of you must yield...or both of you must war. The heavens are smaller now, the gods too many to all be brothers.

The only question is who shall strike first? Nature can be cruel, after all.

Meanwhile Byrrl is also visited as the shadow of a tree darkens and twists slightly into a feminine silhouette.

Is it wise to trust him, do you think? How long will it be before the dead that walk the earth grow jealous of the living? They are outside your power, undying, immortal, all but impossible to slay or stop. If even one decided to upset your order, what could be done? Is that chance really worth taking? Life and death are merely two words for one thing. Mortality. You cannot both own it. Let the strongest of you prevail.

Last edited:

Remove ads