D&D (2024) Blast from the past

I would like to see castle-building at name level return as an optional but well-supported system. High level characters simply should have the wealth and influence to become major political figures, and that doesn't mean an end to adventuring, just a big shift in what they do when not adventuring.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Only if you want to be able to actually find players and DMs for games other than 5E.
Then you need to decide what is more important... playing whatever game you want exactly the way you want to play it, or just playing at all.

If you have a very narrow window of how you are willing to play an RPG and can't find others that share in that... it's no one else's responsibility (including the game companies) to adjust things so that you can. You either work harder to find your group, or you relax your requirements for how the game has to be.

For @Lanefan, he has found himself a great group that all share in his stylistic choices and thus can play the game they want when they want to. My only response to him was that his hopes of WotC rolling back the game in this update to where he likes lethality to be was not likely to happen, because history has shown his style is not popular. If his style of lethality was popular, the game wouldn't have spent 5 editions getting to where it is now requiring a rollback in the first place.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I thought of another one:

Bring back the 1e idea that spellcasting can and will be automatically interrupted by any disruption or damage. Further, make spells take time to cast (e.g. if your initiative is 16 you'll be casting from then until, say, 11; and you're interruptable during that time).

darjr

I crit!
I haven’t read the thread yet but wanted to say that there nothing as dressed as level drain.

Im not sure I want it back but something as dreaded would be cool. Not sure what though.

dave2008

Legend
Of course not. Most people want superhero power fantasy, which is what WotC D&D provides. Lowest common denominator and all that. When easily winning all the time loses its luster, people start using tons of house rules or move on. Either to other games or, if they're even aware of them, older editions of D&D or retroclones.
Interesting take, I found it completely possible to challenge (even kill) my PCS without any house rules. I do think 5e is as "easy" as you think it is.

dave2008

Legend
Agree with both. The more I play/DM 5e the more I dont like it. I agree it needs an overhaul but at 3 years out I think 5E needs to go and just create a new edition, because we all know the backwards compatible claim is B.S.
I disagree with most of this. I think the 2024 updates will be fairly minor and I am personally fine with that. Honestly, I don't think I, or my group, needs another edition ever. I may add LevelUp to our arsenal, but that is it. Everyone is different of course

dave2008

Legend
There are some good ideas in this thread, but I don't really think any of them have a chance to make the 2024 update. On top of that, I don't think many of the ideas presented here would be good for the game (in terms of sales). The are better suite to a UA book or homebrew / house rules where they really belong IMO. In fact, If I think of adding anything from older editions I always run into problems with how well 5e with a few tweaks runs for my group. So, with that fear I would go with:

BECMI War Machine updated to 5e.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases