• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blind characters and talking dogs!

Mycon

First Post
I'm keen to have a blind character that has a talking guide dog. Don't ask. What character class would be least affected by blindness and how could they get a talking dog? I know there is the animal companion, but I want to play the dog as an almost seperate character so they would have to have basic intelligence.

Any suggestions?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Leadership at 8th level will nab you a talking dog; work with your DM, maybe you can have an intelligent but less magical immature version earlier.

A Swordsage or Warblade can get Hearing The Air at 9th or 10th level (respectively).

There are Druid spells that allow you to see through the eyes of another creature, aren't there? There's a Psionic power that allows you to do the same thing (sense link), and that one is 1st level. Ooo, also at 1st level is synesthete.

Psion looks like your best bet. Take area & utility powers, take touchsight as one of your 3rd level powers, and you should be alright. Seer would be a good choice for specialty, as they get Listen as a class skill.

Cheers, -- N

nittanytbone

First Post
Alternatively, a familiar with the Improved Familiar feat could get you a smart dog that can speak to you.

Stick with spells that don't require visual targeting -- you can probably get away with many buffs and conjurations and utility spells.

Also, you can pinpoint the location of a target with a listen check at -20.

mvincent

Explorer
An awakened dog would be suitable as a cohort (rather than an animal companion).

A weredog might be another possibility (as you can make a lycanthrope out of any animal template, according to the core rules).

Last edited:

Remove ads