D&D 5E Blind Characters in 5e

Well, first I was just thinking how with the Unseen Attackers and Targets section in the PHB allows for characters to make weapon attacks as they guess the target's location, and I thought that spellcasters should be given the same kind of flexibility(?) in combat. Then—at least with the spells that "requires you to pick one or more targets to be affected by the spell's magic" and require you to make an attack roll—the only real drawback is the very good chance that any non-cantrip spell you cast might get wasted.
Then with AoE spells, there's a spot on page 204 that—to me, at least—makes the implication that you don't have to see the point to place an AoE on it. Though a really mean DM might say that the thing obstructing the line of sight is where the point of origin is placed (i.e. your eyelids). So I with AoE's I thought "why not?"
AoE spells dont require a target you can see. Neither do spells with attack rolls.

AoE spells dont require a target you can see. Neither do spells with attack rolls.
Though this is true for most spells, there are spells like
  • Chromatic Orb, that uses an attack roll on a creature you can see,
  • And Earthquake, Storm of Vengeance*, and Meteor Swarm, which—for theses—has you choose one and four points (respectively) that you can see within range.
Then there are atypical spells like Evard's Black Tentacles (EBT), whose targets are neither creatures nor objects and yet do not follow the rules for targeting or Areas of Effect as explained on pages 204 and 205 (EBT affects a "20-foot square on ground that you can see within range," as opposed to a cone, cube [RAW]**, cylinder, line, or sphere)

*(Storm of Vengeance is weird since its range isn't limited by a fixed number of feet, but rather by "sight," in which case one could argue that you can just use the rule explained in the 2nd paragraph under A Clear Path to the Target under Targets as written on page 204.)
**(Even though squares aren't cubes, you could make the argument that squares are just one-faced/2D cubes and go on with life.)

Though this is true for most spells, there are spells like
  • Chromatic Orb, that uses an attack roll on a creature you can see,
  • And Earthquake, Storm of Vengeance*, and Meteor Swarm, which—for theses—has you choose one and four points (respectively) that you can see within range.
Cant see, cant cast.

I have no issue with it.

Remove ads