D&D General Blind Monk

DnDboi923

Villager
So I want to make my D&D campaigns more fun, funny, and unique. Then I began to think about a blind monk, however I am not sure how to make it besides adding the blind fighting feat and adding a natural special adaptation ability I call "vibration since" which allows them to feel vibrations 10ft times class level, with a successful roll, kind of like how an Elf can detect secret doors or a Dwarfs stone cunning ability.
Basically what I guess I'm asking is if the special, adaptation, ability makes since or if I should tweak it and if their is anything overall I should add to help make it more powerful. Can you help me?
By the way I am talking about D&D 3.5 edition

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
So I want to make my D&D campaigns more fun, funny, and unique. Then I began to think about a blind monk, however I am not sure how to make it besides adding the blind fighting feat and adding a natural special adaptation ability I call "vibration since" which allows them to feel vibrations 10ft times class level, with a successful roll, kind of like how an Elf can detect secret doors or a Dwarfs stone cunning ability.
Basically what I guess I'm asking is if the special, adaptation, ability makes since or if I should tweak it and if their is anything overall I should add to help make it more powerful. Can you help me?

With Tasha's you can take a Feat that lets you pick a fighting style, and Tasha's also adds "Blindfighting" as a fighting style.

Lyxen

Great Old One

Whatever the edition, you will not succeed in making something balanced. No-one wants to be truly blind, everybody wants to play Toph, and whatever blind/earth/vibe-sense you put in place to compensate it will end up being way more powerful than normal sight.

And honestly it's not about making your campaign more fun and unique, it's about you as a player in another DM's campaign, right ?

aco175

Legend
There should be some sort of trade-off. Being blind already, you have immunity to certain spells and effects which should be offset with a range limit or attack penalty. I would think something along the lines of 10ft blind-sense and out to 30ft you can approximate a battlefield with locating your allies and where enemies are, but would still be blind shooting at them past the 10ft.

The main problem is actual play and not meta-gamming on a grid past the 10ft. You are moving full speed down a hall and you would not know that it turns until you get within 10ft. Fine with walking, but not when running. Your PC would not know that the hall loops around the bad guys, but the player can see it on a grid. That kind of stuff.

You could work in some feats to boost the blind-sense and gain more distance or maybe a bat-like echolocation like Daredevil in lieu of a class power. Might be cool in a fight when you start making clicking noises and chirps.

DnDboi923

Villager
Lyxen: I want to make this in a specific campaign of mine as a DM not a player

aco: I kind of like the eco location idea but how exactly would that work? What kind of roll would it be? What ability would it go off of? necessary things like that

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
What about the Barbarians Danger Sense* modified to Blind-Sense "you gain an uncanny sense of when things nearby aren't as they should be, giving you an edge when you dodge away from danger. You have advantage on Dexterity saving throws against attacks, provided that you are not deafened"

Otherwise Blind fight just requires a Perception (Hearing) to discern the location of targets within 30′ while unable to see, and no disadvantage to attacks or defence

DnDboi923

Villager
Tonguez: Are you sure you're talking about the right thing because I am looking in the players handbook and their is nothing about anything called Danger Sense, unless you are talking about something in another book OR you don't realize I am talking about D&D 3.5e

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Tonguez: Are you sure you're talking about the right thing because I am looking in the players handbook and their is nothing about anything called Danger Sense, unless you are talking about something in another book OR you don't realize I am talking about D&D 3.5e

Doh.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
ah yeah sorry, Danger sense is from 5e, just a suggestion of modifying it to account for a Blind character having uncanny dodge

Remove ads