D&D 5E Blog of Holding Takes on Treasure Distribution and 1 XP/1 GP

The_Gneech

Explorer
A very interesting analysis here:

http://blogofholding.com/?p=6760

What we see here is that, for each tier, average hoard value is multiplied by 10. At first glance, this seems like a problem. This is not granular at all, and treasure values don't change for 6 levels at a time?? A closer look reveals that it might work quite well. The treasure quantity is tied to the monster's level, not the PC's level. If PCs take on monsters of varying but surmountable difficulties, they will naturally fight steadily increasing numbers of higher-tier monsters as they level up. For instance, if you imagine a group who fights monsters of their level +1d6-2, these big steps turn naturally into a nice curve. Not only it is a smooth average, it's one with extremely varied rewards. That means that there's lots of the "wow! I'm rich!" moments that make slot machines so popular.

The article recommends, if going the "XP for GP" route, that you double the monetary awards for creatures at the top of their tier, but to ignore tier 4 treasure. I'm looking into adapting this for my own campaign.

-The Gneech :cool:

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
With as quick as 5e already has you advance, wouldn't adding in gold XP make it crazy fast? Worked great in 1e with the slow leveling. I'd like to use this but then I think they would be leveling every session.

Sadrik

First Post
The other thing you could do: they must spend their money to gain the XP. This introduces an interesting idea to keep characters always trying to spend everything they gain of their ill gotten gains. In this way the magic items they keep and do not sell off turn into XP banks.

THANK YOU Gneech!
Replace, not add.

He's ignoring monster xp.

That seems even worse. What if the PCs defeated a dragon far from its' lair and by the time they got to it kobolds had sacked the place? It's a bummer if you wanted the treasure but gives you nothing (other than whatever items of value you could scrape off the corpse) xp-wise for killing a dragon.

I'm honestly rather confused as to why people want this as an option. For starters, it doesn't really make a lot of sense in the context of the world. As warmaster horus said, what happens when the treasure is all gone? What happens if the monster you fight doesn't collect treasure, like a yeti or a rust monster? XP is nice because it's a reward that you always get if you're successful, and the reason is right in its name. Youre not gaining knowledge to become more powerful by collecting gold pieces. You do it by experiencing the fight or the stealth or the social interaction. I mean, if this was the case, the lords of water deep should all be in the epic levels by now, and Bill Gates would be a god!

Remove ads