Blu-Ray players and movies

tecnowraith

First Post
We are thinking of upgrading to blu-ray and we are wandering which brand to get and what to for in buy a player? Also are ther and special edition version of movies for the blu-ray and if not what is the difference between SE DVDs and standard Blu-ray versions?

XCorvis

First Post
Blue-Ray discs can hold more data, and they should have a higher-quality picture, but there's nothing that says they have to have more content than their DVD counterpart. Most likely they have the same or more, but you'll have to compare the versions if you really want to know.

This may not appeal to you, but I recently read an article that said that the Blue-Ray performance on a computer with a mid-range video card is very much superior to low end blue-ray players. If you've already got a home theater PC or are considering one, that would give you better picture.

frankthedm

First Post
If you plan on getting a blu ray player, a PS3 might be a good idea unless you planned on a high end Blu ray player.

Not a fan of blu ray myself. I find stuff like this unforgivable...

foxfirm.jpg

img97.imageshack.us/img97/566/foxfirm.jpg

Last edited:

Rackhir

Explorer
I have found this web site to be a good guide to things like the quality of the transfer/soundtrack.

Blu-ray.com - Blu-ray Movies, Players, Recorders, DVDs, Media and Software

It can vary considerably and there's no point in replacing a DVD if the Blu Ray isn't much better. They also usually will tell you what if any special features there are and how their number/quality compares to those on the DVD editions.

In general, the more recent the disk release is, the better it will be. Older (especially first generation) releases often had shoddy video (well shoddy for blu ray) quality.

Keep in mind that you need a GOOD quality TV (at least 50" and 60+ is preferable) and a good quality sound system to get the most out of a blu ray movie. If you have neither it really isn't worth going with blu ray.

BTW, you don't have to have an AVR that supports the "lossless" audio codecs (TruHD, DTS Master Audio) to get benefit from the improved sound quality. The regular Dolby Digital and DTS tracks are much higher bit rates than the DVD equivalent and thus sound better.

In general the PS3 ($300) is still one of the best blu ray players (plus you get a dammed good game machine) and about as "future proof. Expect to pay at least $150-200 for a good player. It should be "Profile 2.0". Product reviews and prices, software downloads, and tech news - CNET has reviews on a wide variety of blu ray players. So they're a good source of information. The current "king" of the blu ray players is the Oppo BD-83. It is very fast and has pretty much every feature you could ask for. But at $500 it is fairly pricey. The biggest complaint about cheap blu ray players is that they can be quite slow in operations (starting up, loading disks, etc...). Faster operation is one of the major things more money buys.

I have NEVER gotten that "needs an update" message from a blu ray disk with my PS3. Of course that get's updated fairly often (usually adding new features in the process) anyway.

tecnowraith

First Post
Hey, thanks for the info, this very helpful. Ok he is an update for my inquire. It looks like I will be getting the ps3 and my parent will get a standard Blu-Ray player for the living room since they are not gamers. My question now is which standard player similar to the PS3 in features without the gaming?

Rackhir

Explorer
Hey, thanks for the info, this very helpful. Ok he is an update for my inquire. It looks like I will be getting the ps3 and my parent will get a standard Blu-Ray player for the living room since they are not gamers. My question now is which standard player similar to the PS3 in features without the gaming?

Here's a round up on CNET of what they think are the best blu ray players

For a moderate price, the Samsung BD-P3600 seems to be your best bet. It covers nearly everything you might want, especially Netflix streaming.
Samsung BD-P3600 DVD Player reviews - CNET Reviews

Are there particular non-gaming features of the PS3 that you want?

Last edited:

John Crichton

First Post
As long as it can connect to the net to use BR-live and get firmware updates you should be good to go. Good call on the PS3.

The Samsung mentioned above appears to be a solid buy as a gift.

tecnowraith

First Post
Ok we will be getting a PS3 and was wandering which one to get, the 120 GB or 250 GB hard drive? Does it make any real difference between the two?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases