D&D 5E Blue ONE, An attempt at a TRUE 5e Basic version

If I were trying to do that, it would be a problem lol. I don't want this to replace 5e at all. You hit the nail on the head though, this is meant for people who want to get a feel of 5e, and/or play a quick game. I suppose there's a third as well. For folks like me, who are fans of b/x, it can also be played by players who want to jump right in and not get bogged down by mechanical options, but jump right in. Why yes, as a analyst in my day job, analysis paralysis is a real thing for me lol. Just giving me barebones helps that.

One thing you may note is that I've given fighters the ability to choose either strength or dexterity to be proficient in, so it covers a broader archytype than just the old school STR based fighters. Combine that with background options, and I hope I've got dex based fighters covered.

What are the advantages of this vs. Five Torches Deep or Into the Unknown? Full Compatibility?

Also, what I look for with new players (in any system) are character sheets that are intuitive or even explain the basic mechanics (like playbooks in pbta) and/or simple reference sheets that teach the rules. So I'm wondering if the the actual rulebook should be something that's more gm-facing only?

Sacrosanct

Legend
What are the advantages of this vs. Five Torches Deep or Into the Unknown? Full Compatibility?
This isn't mean to be an OSR clone or quasi-OSR clone. It's meant to give the feeling of 5e mechanics as closely as possible. Also, like B/X was to 1e, there should be close compatibility with 5e, so you can take a 5e adventure and use Basic characters and still have them work pretty well.
Also, what I look for with new players (in any system) are character sheets that are intuitive or even explain the basic mechanics (like playbooks in pbta) and/or simple reference sheets that teach the rules. So I'm wondering if the the actual rulebook should be something that's more gm-facing only?
Yep, I'm working on a character sheet that fits this exact purpose.

Also, re: your earlier comment, perhaps something like this? (I had to shift some things around (like the spell chart to the spellcasting section), and delete some things, but I got them all into 1 page)

1 page classes.jpg

1 page classes2.jpg

1 page classes3.jpg

I've thought about designing a more basic 5e myself, because I run 5e at Summer camp and find that we spend a lot of time setting up character sheets and then they end up playing using basically the skill system, somewhat abstracted combat rules, and a handful of spells and abilities that actually make sense to them. I ultimately decided against it when I realized this last Summer how much the kids were connecting with all the lovely art in my 5e books. But I am on the lookout for a few places where I can streamline rules (on the down-low), so I'll probably adopt a few things here.

If it were my project I would keep the silly vestigial ability score system, because it is deeply embedded in the culture, and skill proficencies, as I find players connect through the characters partly through what skills they have and I don't think they add all that much complication. And then it could still use 5e character sheets (I think).

This isn't mean to be an OSR clone or quasi-OSR clone. It's meant to give the feeling of 5e mechanics as closely as possible. Also, like B/X was to 1e, there should be close compatibility with 5e, so you can take a 5e adventure and use Basic characters and still have them work pretty well.

Yep, I'm working on a character sheet that fits this exact purpose.

Also, re: your earlier comment, perhaps something like this? (I had to shift some things around (like the spell chart to the spellcasting section), and delete some things, but I got them all into 1 page)

View attachment 258987
View attachment 258988
View attachment 258989
Looks great! I recently had occasion to pull out my 1991 Black Box starter set, and one thing that struck me was the economy of the layout in the rule book

Dnd Black Box - 30 of 48.jpeg
Dnd Black Box - 31 of 48.jpeg

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
If I were trying to do that, it would be a problem lol. I don't want this to replace 5e at all. You hit the nail on the head though, this is meant for people who want to get a feel of 5e, and/or play a quick game. I suppose there's a third as well. For folks like me, who are fans of b/x, it can also be played by players who want to jump right in and not get bogged down by mechanical options, but jump right in. Why yes, as a analyst in my day job, analysis paralysis is a real thing for me lol. Just giving me barebones helps that.

One thing you may note is that I've given fighters the ability to choose either strength or dexterity to be proficient in, so it covers a broader archytype than just the old school STR based fighters. Combine that with background options, and I hope I've got dex based fighters covered.
I like it a lot, like I said.

Even with the stated goals I think I’d still really want a 4 class split, though. I feel like the rogue and fighter are holding 3 classes worth of ideas, even taking on board the design goals. *

I haven’t dig into the wizard yet. Does it include “white mage” healing/support stuff?

* The ideas that I think legacy interferes with design on, here, are the assassin(lethal killer with a cause and specialized skills and tools), swashbuckler (athletic and charming sword fighter who can perform stunts, trash talk enemies, etc), guardian, archer, big hitter, and expert.

Not saying you need to have 6 classes (white mage or priest, and/or HeroQuest’s “Elf”, which would be a gish, Paladin, ranger, etc, plus an additional martial), I just think that I would if you handed me this document and told me to finish building it. I’d otherwise largely leave it as is, tbh. It’s very good.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Let me know what you think of this very rough draft (just putting ideas to paper).
I should have time to review it over the weekend (hopefully) and if I do I'll keep notes for feedback.

I love the idea, even though you are using material from 1DD (which isn't my favorite so far) instead of the current 5E ruleset.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I realized that I was thinking about this wrong. If you were to add classes, it would almost have to be existing PHB classes, or hew very close to them. Hmm…I do think there is room for a class that cover similar ground to rangers and paladins with a couple “fighting style” type choices and a choice of one spell list, but…yeah idk. You may be right on.

Perhaps what I’d do is present an optional set of classes modeled on the core three, that are just as simple as these, but cover different ground, as an in between option that is openly and explicitly different from the core;

[Expert Killer] - your swashbuckler, assassin, sniper, or even your offense-first gladiator. High offense, less sturdy than anyone but the mage, mobile, good at chosen skills but less broadly skilled than Rogue. Sneak Attack combined with a choice between Backstab, Bold Strokes, Challenge, or Ambush. Basically fighting styles for a “rogue like” class.

Rogue - The skill monkey. Covers the thief, bard, gets less expertise but more skills and Jack of all trades, sneak attack but little offense beyond that, very good damage mitigation but not beefy.

Guardian - Heavy fighter, knight, gets fighting style and weapon spec. Very similar to your fighter.

Mage - Your generalist wizard, no healing, blows things up and does weird stuff.

Priest or White Mage - Imagine a class that encompasses only the non-warrior cleric and Druid archetypes.

Paragon - Ranger/Paladin, for those players who really don’t like choosing between broad categories, and would always pick Elf in HeroQuest.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I haven’t dig into the wizard yet. Does it include “white mage” healing/support stuff?
Pretty much. It's fairly easy to put all casters into one class. As you can see from the screen shot above, it doesn't matter where you get your magic from (arcane, divine, mail-order). That's all flavor. The mechanics are the same. So I pulled the most common and used spells from both cleric and wizard and put them all together.

I will say this, and not just as a caution to you, but to myself as well and something every designer knows. It is super easy to add additional options. But when the goal is to keep it as simple as possible, I have to fight that urge. Otherwise you just end up with 5e anyway.

Remove ads