D&D 5E Blue ONE, An attempt at a TRUE 5e Basic version

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
If you go with only one spell list, which is a superb option to let players decide just what kind of casters they are in addition to the origin of their spells, I'd maybe give a look at Beyond the Wall OSR rpg (it also has only 3 classes)

In short, spell auto-scale with the characters level, much like in previous editions, but there's no spell levels. All spells are close to 1st or 2nd level in D&D parlance, but they scale automatically, no upcasting necessary. You get a specific number of cast per day, no need to have slots of different levels since they are all the same.

In addition, you have rituals that are gated by the caster level and are no available to cast with slots.

It makes a simple that is quite simple to learn yet is very evocative and makes magic powerful, balanced and feel like actual magic.

Its worth a look.

Sacrosanct

Legend
That's witty, but I think it treads on Old School Essentials a bit much, almost like I am trying to ride their coattails.

So far I'm partial to "Simply Dragons" (because Dragons is tied into Dungeons and Dragons, and Simply is pretty much the goal; keep it simple), and "Bugbears and Borderlands" just cuz that sounds cool and pays another homage to the Basic set.

That's witty, but I think it treads on Old School Essentials a bit much, almost like I am trying to ride their coattails.

So far I'm partial to "Simply Dragons" (because Dragons is tied into Dungeons and Dragons, and Simply is pretty much the goal; keep it simple), and "Bugbears and Borderlands" just cuz that sounds cool and pays another homage to the Basic set.
Simply Dragons sort of makes me think it's a book about dragons though

Sacrosanct

Legend
Simply Dragons sort of makes me think it's a book about dragons though
I guess Bugbears & Borderlands it is then ;)

1661729855210.png

tsadkiel

Legend
I think I shall write up a character, just to take the rules as currently written for a spin. I'll follow the steps in order.

Step 1 - think of a concept. Fair enough. I'll go with tiefling bard, since that's a nicely new school concept.

Step 2 - Assign ability modifiers. I want to be charismatic, obviously, and since I'm leaning towards spellcasting, I want to be smart. Let's go with Str -1, Dex +1, Con 0, Int +2, Wis 0, Cha +2.

Step 3 - Race and background. I've already decided on tiefling, and I think I'll stick with a medium tiefling rather than Small. the obvious background choice is Entertainer, but I could make a case for Combat Dancing or urchin. Let's stick with the obvious - Entertainer gives me +4 to Charisma checks (wait, what? All charisma checks? I'll enjoy it now, before Sacrosanct notices!) and lets me earn money by busking, tiefling gives me darkvison, Presdigitation, fire resistance, and eventually Hellish rebuke.

Step 4 - Class. If I want spellcasting (and I do) then I am a wizard. At first level that gives me 6 hp, proficiency in Int saves and I'll take Wisdom for my other save, since I'll need it. Skill proficiencies will be Int and Charisma. Proficiency with light weapons, fine, no armor, and I start with a scholar's pack, spell focus, staff, and 10 gp.

I can prepare level + Int mod spells per day, so 3. And I know one offensive, one defensive, two additonal, and two cantrips. (Plus my tiefling presdigitation.) Jumping ahead, I'll take Minor Illusion and Guidance for my cantrips, Sleep for my offensive spell, mage Armor for defense, and Healing Word and Bless for my other spells. (Trying to stick to the bard theme.)

Step 5. Equipment. In addition to my stuff from class, I'll grab - nothing, actually. The staff is fine as a weapon, I can't wear armor, and I don't see any musical instruments on the equipment list. I'll try to talk to the DM about letting me use a lute as my focus. And while the book says to use Dex when attacking with weapons that have the finesse property, none of the weapons on the list have the finesse property, so I'll be using Str to bop people on the head with my staff.

Step 6. Give the character a name. I'll stick with the blue theme, and call myself Azure.

And that's it! Pretty simple and fast, with the actual typing taking up most of the post. i did notice a few things that could probably be looked at, including the Entertainer's Cha bonus and the lack of finesse weapons, but they're easy enough to fix. I'll put the final character in a new post.

tsadkiel

Legend
Azure the Bard
Tiefling Entertainer Wizard 1, Good

Str -1
Dex +1
Con 0
Int +2
Wis 0
Cha +2

HP 6
AC 11 (14 with Mage Armor)
Proficiency Bonus +2
Saves - Int +4, Wis +2
Skills - Int +4, Cha +8 (!)

SA: Darkvision, Fire Resistance, Arcane recovery

Cantrips: Presdigitation, Guidance, Minor Illusion
Spells Known: Bless, Healing Word, Mage Armor, Sleep
(2 slots, 3 prepared/long rest)

Equipment: Scholar's Pack, Spell Focus (Lute), Staff (+1/1d6-1), 10 GP.

That's a pretty manageable character sheet. And while I know my AC is 11, I did not find anything that told me how to calculate it.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Entertainer gives me +4 to Charisma checks (wait, what? All charisma checks? I'll enjoy it now, before Sacrosanct notices!)
Too late! LOL.

Speaking of, here is an updated version. Changes include:
background updates
Wizard class description changes (moved some traits into the spellcasting section, updated bonds)
A few new spells

*Edit, just realized I need to update extra attacks on fighter since I updated cannon fodder.

Last edited:

Remove ads