• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blues Clues d20?

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
Jeph said:
Sponge bob is chaotic evil, and shall be eraticated. ASAP. Brutally. Painfully. By a horde of lemurs.

What's wrong with sponge bob? It's one of the funnier shows I've seen in a long time. Alas, I wish they would bring back Invader Zim though.

He-man d20 all the way, baby! :D

Wicht

Hero
MeepoTheMighty said:
What's wrong with sponge bob? It's one of the funnier shows I've seen in a long time.

It ranks right up there with Teletubbies; Ed, Edd and Eddie; Cow and Chicken; and I Am Weasel on my "Never watch it again" list. I just find few redeeming qualities about it. The humor does not make me laugh and the behavior being taught is not that which I wish my children to emulate.

back to blues clues...

As for Salt and Pepper. I believe they are married. Steve just always calls them by their first names. Their last name is obviously Spice.
I asked my wife and she agreed Joe is cuter. I can't see it myself, he looks like a big lug to me.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
SpongeBob posesses the hilarity, yo. :)

There's little more amusing than watching a hyperactive box get into some of the wierdest situations and never have his joy defeated.

A lot of it is manic slapstick humor, with a good chunk of simple absurdity. I mean, how often can drinking a glass of water be funny? :)

And Invader Zim does deserve a chance. It's clever and dark and it just *oozes* flavor. It doesn't mesh easily with most kid's programming, and that probably turned off kids to it...it should be re-done on Adult Swim or something.

Blues Clues...I dunno...I was always told I look something like Steve, so I think I'm the cute one. :p

I agree with most of your "never watch it again" list, though. Sadly, despite the presence of South Park (a "Ha-ha! It's Vulgar!" Joke with Brains), a lot of cartoons continue to try to use Ren & Stimpy's groudbreaking absurdist + disgust-style humor to their advantage.

Ren and Stimpy was new and cool and flavorful. For the most part, Cow and Chicken and I Am Weasel are rip-offs of that style (made by the same dudes, I think).

Ed, Edd, n' Eddy is a bit quirky...it does the "Mischievous Local Kids" theme okay, and it has some colorful characters and interactions, but it's just kinda...bland...doesn't seem to be making much of a point.

My Cartoon Wish List:
* Sheep in the Big City
* The Tick
* The Critic
* Space Ghost Coast to Coast
* The Brak Show
* Sea Lab 2021

...Really, I guess I just think everything Mike Lazzo touches turns to comedy gold...well...except the Eltingville Club. That should remain spiked in it's grave.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
I have been threatening to develop "Little Bunny Foo Foo: The Roleplaying Game" for some time. My wife thinks I'm trying a little too hard to get our daughter into gaming...

Aeolius

Adventurer
Ghostwind said:
Please, no Dora the Explorer d20 or SpongeBob d20. That drives lemmings off cliffs as it stands now...:D

I am appalled at all this hostility directed toward the spongy one. I admit that, in a bit over a month, I’ll be turning 37. I wouldn’t mind a spongebob sponge cake; either that or a mermaid cake with gigantic....seashells. Why do I like the show? It’s inane and annoying, for which I give it high marks. ;)

Besides, a spongebob d20 would get more people playing in an undersea setting, which I have been trying to do since 1998.

A spongy PC? I have my gorgonians, a humanoid sponge created long ago by wizards. A sea star sidekick? I have my demonstars, which mutate from the dread sea larvae. A talking squid? My campaign already has a krakidan (human/kraken crossbreed) PC. Money-pinching crabs? I have my hermit crabmen, shrimpies, and kliklik (lobsterfolk) to fill that niche.

Granted, I don’t have any seafaring squirrels, as of yet; just my otterkin, a sub-race of gnome.

“I’m ready! I’m ready!”

Wicht

Hero
Aeolius said:
Why do I like the show? It’s inane and annoying, for which I give it high marks. ;)

You like the show because it annoys you?

See, with me, things that are annoying are things I try and avoid. Like mosquitos or head lice. You won't ever hear me say, "Why do I like mosquitos? Well they are annoying for which I give them high marks."

Aeolius

Adventurer
Wicht said:
You like the show because it annoys you?

I like the show, because it annoys others; same reason I use a Mac ;)

When I was in college, I would get out of class and get together with a few friends. We would drink and watch cartoons; Thundercats, Transformers, GI Joe, and Jayce & the Wheeled Warriors being the afternoon selections. After that, we would often play D&D. The cartoons were a great way to turn the brain off for a bit - to relax the gray matter after class.

Spongebob is similar; when you turn your brain off, it's really quite amusing. The creator of the show, Steven Hillenburg, is, if memory serves, a marine biologist. That adds to my enjoyment of the show, as it is evident that he wrote Spongebob as an exercise in turning data into drivel. ;)

On a side note, I enjoy shocktarts and bitter hefe-weizen beer (not together, mind you). Maybe I do enjoy things that annoy me.

Remove ads