• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Board games you own and would recommend

bobthehappyzombie

First Post
I've not noticed this section before is it new?

Blokus Works best with 4 players, it is very simple to play but savagely difficult to win.
Ta Yü I love this game, it is better two player than 4, it has an unusual concept for scoring which makes for facinating game play... I have yet to master this to my satisfaction.
Puerto Rico there is a thread dedicated to this game, and it deserves the attention.
Shadows over Camelot A co-op game that doesn't suck surely not!
Ticket to Ride: Europe my fave of the series, this game is a great game to play with non gamers simple sraightforward fun.
Race for the Galaxy this little card game blew me away, 40 mins to play, no waiting and excellent depth.
Power Grid Only played this new aquisition a few times, but it shapes up nicely.
Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery Losely based on the computer game, it works really well, plenty of paths to victory.
Marvel Heroes Only played a few times, nice feel to the game seems to manage to balance the teams pretty well.
Tigris and Euphrates is good, simple to play, complex to win.
Settlers of Catan and all it's many expansions is a little cracker, the knights and cities expansion adds a lot to the game, but also adds another layer of complexity, so not everyone is in favour (personally I love it)
Railroad tycoon is expensive but worth it... as it goes if you buy all the settlers stuff it will set you back about £150 so that's not exactly cheap either, though it's modular so you needn't get it all... at once.
Arkham Horror yes it's another cool co-op game!
I have a fondness for Scotland yard which is very simple yet strangely intense.
Bohnanza is a bean farming game, which sounds dull but is great fun.
Star Fleet Battle Force is a suprisingly good little game, especially for all you SFB fans whom no longer have days to dedicate to fighting space skirmishes.

Oh Kremlin not a game I own any more but still a good solid game, and quite a good laugh.
I love Nuclear war and it's expansions, though it is just plain daft, it's not the greatest game mechanically.
... so many games, I'll no doubt come back with more ... SFB that would be a post in itself..

meomwt

First Post
I'd give a shout out to Lost Empires, a Knizia game of exploration (actually a card game of suit building with some nice tactical choices and a clever delay-the-game-end mechanic), Kill Doctor Lucky (a pre-Cluedo game of assassination, back-stabbing and too-tight hats), and Carcassonne (tile-laying game with considerable tactical depth).

scitadel

First Post
I will not add my own list of games here, that's way too long. I'm just going to go with what people have not mentioned that I'd suggest:

Kingsburg - lots of fun development game. It's a nice balance between an Ameritrash (lots of dice rolling) and Euro (you use the dice rolled to allocate to advisors to get their favours to build your city). Mid-level strategy game.

Louis XIV - brain. hurt. Very intense brain burner Euro with just the right amount of luck and extreme strategy. Plays in an hour or so, but no more than a few games at a time can be played.

Through the Ages - if you like Civ, you'll love this. Such a good civilisation building game.

Gloom - more fun than anything else; it's a card game with a few little neat tricks but nothing spectacular. Nice and amusing on Halloween though.

Coloretto - so, so fun. Card driven game, short and can play fast and highly tactical with some strategy. Very easy to learn.

San Juan - Puerto Rico done with cards pretty much. Strategies are slightly different and set-up time is much shorter.

Descent - probably my favourite RPG / co-op dungeon crawler board game. Highly amusing, but much better with the Well of Darkness and Road to Legend (campaign) expansion.

Order of the Stick - you'll need to adjust the game slightly to make it replayable (too long for what it is) but still fun. Definitely more for the fans though.

I could go on but I'll stop now.

bobthehappyzombie

First Post
Descent is an excellent game, and the campaign game is very much D&D lite.
I found the OotS game to be a real disappointment.
I love the comic but the game blows..

I am fond of Bang as well though it works best with 5 or more, it is good end of evening game, I couldn't get the expansions anywhere, are they still available? (on there own as opposed to in a pack with the original set)

Anyone played Agricola yet? it is the game of the moment I believe.

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Quoridor (unambiguous name, google it). Very fun abstract two-player game. Perfect for your inner competitive bastard.

Cheers, -- N

Nyarlathotep

Explorer
Gotta agree on Arkham Horror being a great game. The co-op aspect is a lot of fun and while we've probably played 20+ games, I've never had one go the same way twice. I'm also a fan of the fact that it's difficult to win at (even more so with the various expansion packs).

Descent seems like a lot of fun, but my problem with it is the time it takes to play a game. Our experience is 5 - 6 hours to play it out.

Croesus

Adventurer
Star Fleet Battle Force is a suprisingly good little game, especially for all you SFB fans whom no longer have days to dedicate to fighting space skirmishes...

I have this, but I haven't been able to convince anyone to give it a try. I also have a couple of the new Fed Commander boxes - same problem, no players. :(

I love Nuclear war and it's expansions, though it is just plain daft, it's not the greatest game mechanically.

My first gaming group got into this when it first came out (early 80's ?) and we had a blast. My current group mostly yawned, which I just don't understand.

An older game I recommend is Rail Baron by Avalon Hill. Basically Monopoly with railroads, it's an excellent three and four player game. That's another my first gaming group played to death - I have the beat up copy to prove it. :) Be warned, even seriously used copies go for big bucks on eBay. This is one people tend to hang on to.

Agamon

Adventurer
The Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game - before they actually play it, so many people that tell me, oh, a zombie game, yawn...I think it's now the most popular game I own.

Blood Bowl - Best played in a league setting, smashing heads and scoring TDs, building your team, lotsa fun

Notre Dame - Easy to learn game with different point gathering strategies, personally, I like those types of games.

Bang! - Awesome game for bigger groups (7-10), easy to pick up for non-gamers, good non-party game party game.

Stone Age - Don't yet own, but really, really want to. Fun resource collecting game.

Galaxy Trucker - Crazy fast-paced, don't-check-your-brain-at-the-door game. Fun to play, win or lose.

Wasn't a big fan of Kingsburg. Can you say, analysis paralysis? And the best strategy, roll good and take the queen as often as possible, whoever does that, wins.

Last edited:

Asmor

First Post
Ra and Tigris & Eupgrates (linked in first post) are my two favorite games. I highly recommend both of them.

Citadels is a great game for large groups. It scales well with anywhere from 4-8 players.

Ca$h 'n Gun$, Werewolf and, if you're feeling adventurous, Die Kutschfahrt zur Teufelsburg are all great social games.

Fairy Tale which combines booster drafting, from Magic, with set collection, is a really fun game.

Modern Art is another favorite of mine, a very intense but varied auction game.

Starcraft: The Board Game and World of Warcraft: The Board Game are both great games, though expensive and the time commitment required for each can limit how often you'll actually get to play.

Remove ads