The Greatest Console Games of All Time! (Atari 2600 Edition)

JEB

Legend
We had an intellivision as well, and we looked down upon you inferior graphics and controller using Ataris 😂

My favorite intellivision games were triple threat, dark stalker, football, and a naval battle game I’m misremembering.
I was a little too young for Intellivision, and I honestly found the controls overly complicated when I played it at MAGFest. However, I really enjoyed some of the games when I played them on the Intellivision Lives! compilation for Nintendo DS (particularly Astrosmash).

Zardnaar

Legend
I got my copy of Dark Chambers new from a retail store in around 1989 (though I think the line was on its last legs by then).

89 or 1990 was the last cartridges I remember seeing.

Activision ones in vhs style plastic cases you opened like a book.

Some retro consoles were available early 90s with 64 built in games or whatever the number was.

I have my suspicion old stock was dumped in NZ. I found out what an NES was via school mate who spent time in Japan and played it there.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Wasn't tank wars it was armor ambush.

Odd shaped cartridge. Next door neighbors kid brought it back from USA 1990. He had a box of cartridges no Atari. He lent me the box, I lent him the console.

Sega master system and Megadrive pads work on the Atari.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Some retro consoles were available early 90s with 64 built in games or whatever the number was.
I know my Mom bought a couple of those post 2010. I don’t remember who she gave them to, though.

They LOOKED like a standard 2600 with joysticks, but obviously, only played what was pre-loaded on them. So no games from 3rd parties, and no games that used controllers other than joysticks.

MGibster

Legend
They LOOKED like a standard 2600 with joysticks, but obviously, only played what was pre-loaded on them. So no games from 3rd parties, and no games that used controllers other than joysticks.
I went to a retro arcade this summer and even though my ticket entitled me to unlimited play for the day I was done in less than two hours. Looking back at my childhood, the Atari was something I only played when I was unable to go outside for whatever reason (weather, time of day, etc., etc.). And I don't think I usually played for more than 20-30 minutes at a time. Back then, video games were an alternative form of entertainment when other forms were unavailable to me. It wasn't until the NES that video games became a primary form of entertainment for me.

Zardnaar

Legend
I know my Mom bought a couple of those post 2010. I don’t remember who she gave them to, though.

Would not be surprised if they were knock offs. They had functioning control ports and cartridge slots though.

Joysticks became rate in 90s mine were always breaking. Sega pads worked though.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I went to a retro arcade this summer and even though my ticket entitled me to unlimited play for the day I was done in less than two hours. Looking back at my childhood, the Atari was something I only played when I was unable to go outside for whatever reason (weather, time of day, etc., etc.). And I don't think I usually played for more than 20-30 minutes at a time. Back then, video games were an alternative form of entertainment when other forms were unavailable to me. It wasn't until the NES that video games became a primary form of entertainment for me.
While I had plenty of entertainment options, I played my fair share of Atari, Apple II and Mac games well into my 20s. And my friends and I could get lost in arcades for quite a while.

One of my best friends to this day will occasionally hip me to an operational arcade, and we’ll go eat bad mall good and play things like Joust, Gauntlet, Galaxians, Tempest, Star Castle, Defender, Vanguard, Xevious, fighting, FPS and other games for hours.

And we’re both members of AARP.😜

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Would not be surprised if they were knock offs. They had functioning control ports and cartridge slots though.

Joysticks became rate in 90s mine were always breaking. Sega pads worked though.
I seem to remember them as legit Atari products. They were sold in big-name department stores.

Zardnaar

Legend
I seem to remember them as legit Atari products. They were sold in big-name department stores.

I liked the airplane joysticks ones with a trigger over the awful Atari ones.
Sega 6 button pad was nice, Master System OK and the Sega 3 button bad was alright except or fighting games. Thumb blisters.

Remove ads