The Greatest Console Games of All Time! (Atari 2600 Edition)

Thourne

Hero
We had an intellivision as well, and we looked down upon you inferior graphics and controller using Ataris 😂

My favorite intellivision games were triple threat, dark stalker, football, and a naval battle game I’m misremembering.
did you have the voice pack thingy?
friend of mine did but man we had a helluva time getting it to work

We had an intellivision as well, and we looked down upon you inferior graphics and controller using Ataris 😂

My favorite intellivision games were triple threat, dark stalker, football, and a naval battle game I’m misremembering.

The joke was on us because the controllers broke all the time and the console needed to be repaired frequently

MGibster

Legend
According to Wikipedia, the Atari 2600 was in production from 1977 until 1992 with about 30,000,000 being made in that time. I would have sworn the 2600 went out of productin sometime in the early to mid 1980s, certainly by the time the NES was released in the United States around 1985, but that simply wasn't the case. I can't recall seeing anything Atari related in stores after 1984 or so.

According to Wikipedia, the Atari 2600 was in production from 1977 until 1992 with about 30,000,000 being made in that time. I would have sworn the 2600 went out of productin sometime in the early to mid 1980s, certainly by the time the NES was released in the United States around 1985, but that simply wasn't the case. I can't recall seeing anything Atari related in stores after 1984 or so.

There was a massive video game crash in the early 80s, but they were still sold in stores. Nintendo is what broke through the crash in the US. Our Intelivission stopped working in like 84 and we didn't have video games in the house again until 86 or so (when we got a computer and eventually a nintendo in 87)

That makes some level of sense, because the 7800 could play 2600 games and also was discontinued in 1992. I forget which store, but I do remember seeing 2600 and 7800 games around 1987 or so. I’m guessing the 2600 console was a cheaper option than whatever the 7800 sold for.

Sacrosanct

Legend
The joke was on us because the controllers broke all the time and the console needed to be repaired frequently
Aw man, that sucks. We never had any issues. In fact, I think my dad still has it.

And I remember, Sea Battle was the name of one of my favorite games. Great vs. game against another player

1697925007806.png

Zardnaar

Legend
Sold mine 1990, didn't know what an NES was until 1989. Late release in NZ or small town anyway. You could still get new Atari games late 80s here. Lots of third party games. Next door neighbor brought back a box of games from America, iwned 16, swapped games and played them from the shop (stepfather would borrow them).

Been a while but in no particular order

1. Adventure

2. Yars Revenge

3. Tank Wars (name?? MP you shot each other and could lay mines).

4. Dig Dug.

5. Joust

6. Asterix and Obelix

7. Jungle Hunt

8. River Raid 2

Berserk, Asteroids, Defender and Space Invaders were OK, Pac Man was trash (first game on it).

Got it 83/84 last game bought probably a wrestling game from Activision.

Sold it for enough to get some Master System games.

Been to long.

JEB

Legend
That makes some level of sense, because the 7800 could play 2600 games and also was discontinued in 1992. I forget which store, but I do remember seeing 2600 and 7800 games around 1987 or so. I’m guessing the 2600 console was a cheaper option than whatever the 7800 sold for.
I got my copy of Dark Chambers new from a retail store around 1989 (though I think the line was on its last legs by then).

Last edited:

Remove ads