Boardgame Frustration

HawaiiSteveO

Blistering Barnacles!
I feel your pain šŸ˜† I wanted a game I could play solo, picked up Gloom Haven Jaws of the Lion.
it is actually reasonable ... except I didnā€™t know as solo player I play 2 characters, which is the proverbial straw the broke the camels back. Great game though just a bit much to handle.
StIā€™ll looking for solo game , found a few that look interesting.

guessing you know about this site already ...

Altar Quest

Last edited:

I've played a bit of Frostgrave, was even doing a campaign with a friend before the pandemic.
The drawback is that my choices right now are the game has to have a solo option or be something my wife will play with me. She's a gamer luckily, and handles complex boardgames probably better than I do.
But strangely she doesn't like wargames that require measuring. If they're not on a grid, she thinks they're too imprecise. When we tried Age of Sigmar, when issues came up like "make an agreement between the players or roll a die," she lost all interest.
try rangers-great solo game

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I'm trying to find solo games....

but not many replies. I've heard wingspan is good solo, and I own it.....

ccs

41st lv DM
I'm trying to find solo games....

but not many replies. I've heard wingspan is good solo, and I own it.....

I think Tapestry has a solo mode.

when we got a new table, i joked about going from measuring tables in inches, i now measure them by how big a board game will fit. The biggest board games I have ever seen would have to be A&AE 1940 and A&AP 1940 (combined is 175x80 cm (70" x 32") ) followed by World in Flames.

The biggest board games i personally own are ticket to ride and Twilight Struggle.

ccs

41st lv DM
when we got a new table, i joked about going from measuring tables in inches, i now measure them by how big a board game will fit. The biggest board games I have ever seen would have to be A&AE 1940 and A&AP 1940 (combined is 175x80 cm (70" x 32") ) followed by World in Flames.

Too bad this didn't fund: OverBattle: The All War (Canceled)
Says it's 6' long set up & box weighs 20lbs....

I have pics of it from GenCon about somewhere.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
So when did we decide, as gaming culture, to need all this? Many, many years ago. I still have my full Squad Leader set and much of 1st edition of Advanced Squad Leader (never did get all the AH/MMP historical scenarios and stopped getting supplements before Doomed Battalions). And I won't even get into talking about how people probably could have filled out a whole Napoleonic OOB back in the 1960s in appropriately painted colors.

It all depends on the kinds of games you like. Fortunately, there are much simpler games out there as well as the complex ones.

Remove ads