Bob Bledsaw, man behind Judges Guild and the wilderlands

Bregh

Explorer
Terrible, terrible to hear.

Come what may and will, and I pray that in some way all might be well, thank you, Bob, for sharing so many amazing ideas and imaginings over the years.

Mystaros

First Post
Official Statement from the Bledsaw Family

Dear Guildmembers and Fellow Gamers,

It is with deepest regret that I announce that the Judges Guild's President, Bob Bledsaw has been struggling against terminal cancer, and has but a short time left with us. He is in good spirits, with house in order, and is ready to begin "the Great Adventure," as he calls it.

For those of you who have been awaiting new products; it may take some time. The Guild will go through some changes as it is passed to his three sons. They have only begun to go through his writings and unfinished works, which there is much of. They do not plan to close or reduce the Guild, and will do their best to honor any existing contracts, and persue new product ventures, as time allows.

Calls, cards and flowers are not needed, but prayers for Bob, or a pause for reflection on a time when the Guild brought you some joy, is very much appreciated. Bob loved to see happy faces around the game-table, and doesn't wish to sadden anyone with his passing. His family and friends wish to thank everyone for all the support offered, but nothing can help this situation.

As Bob would say, "Sometimes even the Dungeon Master could use a Saving Throw."

With Regards,
Maed Makistakator
Bob Bledsaw Jr.

pogre

Legend
So sorry to hear this.

We here in Central Illinois and the midwest truly were the cradle of RPGs. Between Decatur, Bloomington, and yes, Lake Geneva, WI, there were some amazing games happening.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Very sorry to hear that. :(

It was only last year I was lucky enough to be a player in some old Judges Guild again - fantastic stuff. I don't know whether I'll get the chance to in the future. . . but now I think I'll try to arrange a special, because.

Condolences to all concerned. :(

Soel

First Post
Sad, sad news...

The Wilderlands is such a fantastic work of a game setting. Thank you, Bob, for the many nights of fun that your work has given us, and will continue to give us.

Treebore

First Post
Since hearing this yesterday I have spent a lot of time thinking about Bob and his Judges Guild product line and its effects and my gaming and myself.

Not only did those products (Wilderlands, Traveller, and adventures) give me tons of innovative fun they also taught me one of my fundamental gaming philosophies.

Simple, straight forward, to the point, gets the job done.

See, I was still a pretty newbie DM back in 1985. Less than two years of gaming under my belt at the time. I thought I had to have these rich, detailed, well developed worlds and NPC's to run a good game and be a great DM. Then I ran into Judges Guild. Very simple, very cheap presentation. Initially I thought this stuff was going to be useless. But a few gamer friends had raved about the stuff, so I was going to give it a fair shake.

So I did. My gaming philosophy was radically changed forever. It may have looked cheap. It may have looked overly simplistic and poorly done. However it was loaded with nuggets of gold. It was evocative. It was inspiring. It made me quit focusing on the details and just concentrating on the essentials. It worked! It worked well, very well.

As I am sure any of you long time gamers know, my (our) gaming has led to many, many hours of fun. Fun filled with laughs. Filled with wondrous magic, creatures and battles. Fun spent with good people. Now its fun filled hours spent with my kids. Even newer gaming friends. Tons more fun to come.

So even though I have never had the priveledge of meeting Bob, he has had a very big impact on my life. He contributed to the way in which I have spent hundreds, likely thousands, of hours playing RPG's. He and his Judges Guild employees shaped how I approached adventure and world design, and how I DMed my games. He/they helped me define what was fun about gaming.

Now they are views and fun I share with my own children. Hopefully giving them many fun filled memories of great times spent with their mother and father. Times shaped by what I learned from Judges Guild and Bob Bledsaw.

So thank you Bob Bledsaw. Thank you for putting together the Judges Guild team, and helping to create so many great memories not only for me, but for many friends, my wife, and especially my kids.

Remove ads