D&D 5E Book: Inside the World of Dungeons and Dragons

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Nope. They are terrible. But many collectors view them with irony.

They were NOT produced ironically.

There's a great 99% Invisible Podcast that recently hit on the whole history of the business and the design of Chick Tracts, and it's ... fascinating.

TLDR; they were originally made because Jack Chick wanted to express his ... ideas ... to people using the imagery and "punch" of comics that were popular with the kids.
When I was 14 or 15 I actually emailed one of the creators of the Chick Tracts (not Jack Chick himself) and we had a back and forth about D&D being satanic or not. I was... unproductive, but I felt very grown-up supporting my hobby!

Birmy

Adventurer
I think MOST people (thankfully) appreciate Chick tracts ironically, at least today, but they were certainly intended straight-faced. Quite a few years back (Chick was still alive), I looked into acquiring "Dark Dungeons," which had gone out of print...but you could get a run of it reprinted if you paid a large sum and ordered a minimum number of however many hundreds of copies. No thank you, Jack Chick!

They were kind of like Choose Your Own Adventure books, if every choice you made always ended with you going to hell.

One of my favorite promo items was the Chick tract parody (identical until you actually looked at it) White Wolf put out for Demon: The Fallen. The year it came out, you could find them all over Gen Con and you'd have to do a double take.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think MOST people (thankfully) appreciate Chick tracts ironically, at least today, but they were certainly intended straight-faced. Quite a few years back (Chick was still alive), I looked into acquiring "Dark Dungeons," which had gone out of print...but you could get a run of it reprinted if you paid a large sum and ordered a minimum number of however many hundreds of copies. No thank you, Jack Chick!

They were kind of like Choose Your Own Adventure books, except every choice you made always ended with you going to hell.

One of my favorite promo items was the Chick tract parody (identical until you actually looked at it) White Wolf put out for Demon: The Fallen. The year it came out, you could find them all over Gen Con and you'd have to do a double take.
No, huge numbers of Americans believe in exactly the sort of world described by Jack Chick, with no irony whatsoever. It really isn't funny at all.

Birmy

Adventurer
No, huge numbers of Americans believe in exactly the sort of world described by Jack Chick, with no irony whatsoever. It really isn't funny at all.
Sadly, I'm aware, but I still think MOST people know they're rubbish, even if A LOT more than is healthy take it as gospel truth (pun intended).

Remove ads