• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Book of Strongholds & Dynasties Question

Kirowan

First Post
I've read reviews of this book and it seems very well put together. I have a question though for those who own it.

Does it discuss laws & punishments and how different types of goverments handle these things?

You see, while I think Dynasties & Demagogues & Crime and Punishment from Atlas Games both sound interesting, there's just too much detail there for me. I'd like to know how different governmental systems might affect my players lives and the lives of the NPCs around them, but I don't need additional rules for debating, speeches, and the like.

Thanks,

Nick

Silveras

First Post
The book does not discuss crimes and punishments much. It talks about the choices of attitude a government can take toward dissent, for example, but that is the only crime singled out. There is also a "Police Chief" position, but that is discussed in terms of the special abilities the job conveys to the character who holds it; not in terms of how its function influences the attitudes in the realm.

There is also a general "Corruption" score, that reflects how much bribery and nepotism is degrading your government.

The different systems of government are discussed in terms of how they make "playing the King and Court" different, not in terms of how they affect the populace.

A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe has a nice list of crimes and punishments, but it is Medieval Europe only (in terms of its style).

Emiricol

I bought it. I regret the purchase. It's one of the few books I have purchased that I would say that about.

Law and punishment is one of the few aspects that they *didn't* insert a few pages to halfway address. You might, based on your post, find a good use for the 13.5 pages dedicated to discussing various types of governments. They do mention, sort of, sometimes, what effect each has on the people of a realm.

Last edited:

Kirowan

First Post
Thanks for the information guys.

I have one more question though. When running a kingdom, how is the type of government decided. Does the player just pick one?

Emiricol, why don't you like the book? I've read two very positive reviews about it.

Thanks,

Nick

Psion

Adventurer
Emiricol said:
I bought it. I regret the purchase.

I'll second that. Lotsa prattle. A bit like AEG's War, which was mercilessly savaged on these boards. I'm surprised that it's not getting an equivalent tongue-lashing.

Psion

Adventurer
Well, this is all a first blush impression, so don't read TOO deeply into it yet, but so far, I am disappointed.

When I say prattle, I mean there is a large ratio of (IMO) dispensible expository text.

Emiricol

Psion said:
Well, this is all a first blush impression, so don't read TOO deeply into it yet, but so far, I am disappointed.

When I say prattle, I mean there is a large ratio of (IMO) dispensible expository text.
I agree with Psion. Not only that, they tried to bolt on, Frankenstein-style, a "system" that really doesn't run well. AEG's Empire system, while it has contradictions and scaling problems, at least works with minimal DM effort. The BoSD book can't make that claim - scattered among the many pages of the book are about a page and a half of "system". The rest is material supporting the system.

Also, it has a nice section on the kinds of actions a king can take, and a cost associated with each. However, the cost is the same for a barony of 3000 as it is for an empire of 15 million people.

I just found that, while it looks good, it wasn't useful in any way to me, personally.

EDIT: Also, the reviews brought up as being positive were probably based on first impression and a quick read-through. I was very excited when I first went over the book. It was when I tried to actually /use/ the thing that I realized the book wouldn't serve my needs. I recomment MMS:WE if you are looking to model a kingdom, or Empire if you want to campaign running a kingdom. (I don't have fields of blood, but I've heard good things about it, so it would be worth checking that out too.)

Last edited:

Psion

Adventurer
(I don't have fields of blood, but I've heard good things about it, so it would be worth checking that out too.)

I finally got Fields of Blood and it looks very nice (in terms of both presentation and sampled content.) Again, this is a very first blush impression, so take that as you will.

Remove ads