• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Book of Vile Darkness

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenjib

First Post
Maraxle said:
I'll flip through it, though I probably won't end up buying it. I am a fan of using subtle evil, villains with real plots and motivations, and plausible situations. If it contains this kind of material, I will get it. However, from its description it sounds like it contains the kind of stuff that's better suited for death metal liner notes than my game world.

You might want to check out the Kenzer book then. I believe it was written with these kinds of things in mind. I'm going to check out both of these villain books and see if either one looks useful.

Balsamic Dragon

First Post
I'm not planning on buying it. I like Monte Cook as a writer, but I don't think it's necessary for my game.

That said, I would be much more likely to buy it if it were written as a Call of Cthulu supplement, or perhaps a new D&D world with darker tendancies. I just don't think that most D&D games need things like torture, drug addiction, baby eating, whathaveyou.

And the "mature audiences" thing? Marketing gimmick and an excuse to put in pictures of naked chicks. Could be wrong, but that's my prediction. And I will be _extremely_ surprised if 1) there was no female nudity and 2) there was any male nudity to speak of! Sigh.

Balsamic Dragon

Tharkun

First Post
Howdy fellow ENWorldites!!!

Shouldn't it be Eninites? :D

Is Wizards putting out this book or is Montes people doing the Honor?

I won't just grab it, but I'll do so if it's got them loving crunchy bits!

William Ronald

Explorer
I will likely by the book, to see its treatment of evil and the benefits (and penalties) that such things as the sacrifice of sentients might bring.

Some of the monster stats might be useful, but if I don't like them, I can change them.

I think if the book looks at truly evil organizations and entities, and helps explain them, it can work well. Of course, Kenzer's Villain Design Handbook sounds interesting as well.

Of course, my campaign has dealt with "mature themes" for some time. I think what is important is the type of game that the DM and players want.

I expect in a world of magic and active deities, there would be room for both the soul-selling cultist and villains who are more closely akin to what we have seen in our own world.

grimwell

First Post
I'll buy it for two reasons:

1) I want to see how the systems/rules for drug use, torture, sacrifice, selling of the soul, etc. work out in an "official" D&D product.

2) I've just about had it with the campy soft punch that stock D&D villians have been given for the last two decades. I don't want every product to go completely dark and twisted, but I would like to see Wizards publish a line of products that is dark and adult. So I'll buy this product and hope that high sales encourages more products of the same sort.

Who said White Wolf should have the corner on the mature themes?

Voadam

Legend
I think I would like the book, for the addiction rules, for the demons, for the spells, for the sacrifice and sould selling rules, and for a general good read. However, the hefty price of hardcovers and lack of bookshelf space will probably stop me from getting it.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
The Serge said:
Nightfall:

I just thought about this. We've both seen the anorexic "Asmodeus" stats that are supposedly going to be in the Book of Vile Darkness. Are we expecting the stats in the Tome of Horrors to be similar to these stats or more akin to the ones at the Creature Catalog? If that's the case, there's going to be a lot of confusion because a lot of people use the Creature Catalog as much as they use the official D&D material. I mean, Bael will be almost as strong as "Asmodeus."

Do you know?

Agreed on the point that the BoVD Asmodeus will be kind of weak compared to most epic things. But I guess I'm just going to extropolate some of the powers and abilities but change up a few things, like his stats and DR if I want to use him as persistant threat. The BoVD version will be more like an "avatar" of sorts for mid-level, near high end PCs to deal with. As for him being in Tome, no he's NOT in Tome but Orcus will be and so will his former boss, Lucifier. I just plan on using both to help add more to my campaigns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads