Books everyone seems to love, but you just can't

Wait what? Polyamory isn’t more “adult” than monogamy.
Not more adult, but kids should be mature enough to not freak out about it. We have several openly gay and trans family members, so I wasn't worried about that aspect, but when your kid has a college reading level in 3rd grade, you have to pay attention to content. By middle school, my entire library was opened up for all my kids, regardless of maturity. At that age, whether they are mature or not, sheltering them does more harm than good.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Not more adult, but kids should be mature enough to not freak out about it. We have several openly gay and trans family members, so I wasn't worried about that aspect, but when your kid has a college reading level in 3rd grade, you have to pay attention to content. By middle school, my entire library was opened up for all my kids, regardless of maturity. At that age, whether they are mature or not, sheltering them does more harm than good.
Okay. Sorry, didn’t mean to challenge your parenting, I just don’t see polyamory as something that needs a content warning or a certain maturity level, but it is what it is.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I don't mind Pratchett in moderation, but Good Omens definitely belongs on the list for me. It's on a bunch of "Best Fantasy" novel lists and people were super excited when the Amazon series came out. I found it quite forgettable.
Heh, and here I didn't even realize the Good Omens TV series - which I found engaging enough - was based on a book. :)

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Turtledove's alternate histories are not bad if you read only one series. If you read multiple series you start to recognize certain characters (personalities not names) are dropped into multiple worlds and set to do their thing in it, sometimes in rather similar circumstances even if the location names have been changed.
I've just never seen a book of his where a character grew or changed as part of the story. Most recently read the Korean War with nukes series and it was more of the same.

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
The Bible.

Speaking as a non-Christian who loves the Bible as literature:

The Bible isn't a book, it's a collection of books, written in different languages over a period spanning nearly a millenium, and it was ordered the way it was for doctrinal and pedagogical purposes, not for being an enjoyable read. Here's how I usually suggest people approach it to get the gist:

Start with the Gospels, good ol' Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. This is like starting with Episode IV of Star Wars, or The Crystal Shard in the legend of Drizzt... it might not make sense to the uninitiated, but this is the good stuff.

Then flip back to Genesis and Exodus. The prequels, basically. Skip over the really boring parts with all the begats, unless you're into that sort of thing. Most of the best stories of the Old Testament are found here.

Jump forward. Read Job. Then Ecclesiastes. Two very important books.

Then go to the New Testament again. Read Acts - I know it's kinda the Episode VII of the Bible, but it tells the stories of what happened afterwards.

Then Revelation. With or without the psychedelic drug of your choice.

Dip into the rest of the Bible as the spirit moves you. There's some good stuff in the early books after Exodus, but it can be few and far between (with lots of discussions about how to purify yourself after unclean bodily emissions in between). The histories (Samuel, Judges, Kings) have their moments. Psalms and Proverbs can be nice to dip into. Never been a big fan of the prophets or the letters of Paul, but they have their fandom.

And, of course, after that there's the fanfic - aka apocrypha - but that's for another day...

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
Books I couldn't get into:

The Sword of Truth series. Just atrociously bad writing, and nothing grabbed me about it at all.

A Song of Fire and Ice series. Tried to read the first book... maybe just not my kind of fantasy.

The Baroque Cycle. I'm an obsessive Neal Stephenson fan - and yet, I struggled with Quicksilver, and didn't make it more than fifty pages into The Confusion.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms. I'm the sort of guy who has read The Silmarillion five times, but this one defeated me. Though maybe it was because the translation I was reading used Wade-Gilles romanization rather than Pinyin, and Wade-Gilles always throws me off tremendously. If/when I tackle it again, I'll look for an edition with Pinyin romanization.

Ulysses. James Joyce was capable of writing things that are a joy to read. This was not one of them.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
I was taught the Bible by a Marxist-Leninist, and the effect was similar, something I had to know, except not necessarily believe. Both have their leaps of logic, like uh agriculture will be magically collectivized, that's right! Then again I think I have had more problems with the adherents than the source material for both.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Hearing the Bible described as basically any other piece of pop fiction makes me wonder, semi-seriously, if there are any Bible shippers out there

Remove ads