D&D 5E Booming or Greenflame?

Arial Black

Adventurer
True, the save can be an issue (which is why it's better on an Eldritch Knight w/ Eldritch Strike). I just really like lightning lure because it has an effect that isn't replicated anywhere else as opposed to just damage.

Anecdote: I'm currently playing a Ftr1/Bar2/War7 that has both booming blade and lightning lure, and it seems I use the latter a lot more. But with Warcaster...hmm...

For both fluff and crunch (separately) we have to decide what the core idea is for that PC. For this PC, Raven Nevermore, the core fluff is that she is a detective (city watch investigator), while the core crunch is trying to take advantage of hex in melee as best I can with a Dex-based bladelock. That means TWF, but I want one of the two SCAG cantrips for rounds when I can't/won't TWF.

Maybe I should take one of them now, and then take the other at 5th instead of eldritch blast. Thoughts? I'm never going to take the EB-enhancing invocations, but EB remains a very useful ranged attack (if I must!) and works well with hex.

Thoughts? I'm never going to take the EB-enhancing invocations, but EB remains a very useful ranged attack (if I must!) and works well with hex.

Really, never? In that case you can almost certainly live without EB at all and just use a crossbow, if necessary.

EB doesn't start to outshine ranged weapons until 11th level at the earliest, when everyone but the fighter fails to get a third attack but the warlock scales up his cantrip damage just like the fighter.

I'm going to argue here that EB + Hex is good enough to be worth taking, but not so good that you can't afford to miss it. The 5th level Sorlock at my table is happy with his Eldritch Spear + One With Shadows (I relaxed the restrictions to make it work like the shadow monk's Cloak of Shadows though).

So, call that a very soft yea in favor of EB for your next cantrip.

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk

Remove ads