D&D (2024) Boring things that might mean something…

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
No that is a player thing. We allow 30 sec. Max fo complete your turn and that includes rolling all dice. Taking more time should not be needed, no matter the character or class
1699656759221.png

IoW: " There's no rule for that. Why are you rushing me? I need to decide what I need to do " >" yea dude why are yo ubeing a jerk about it? Let him take his turn instead of always trying to force us to make mistakes by rushing through our turns"

How you enjoy playing at your table is up to you, and bless. But proclaiming that it should not take more than 30 seconds to complete your turn comes off to me as remarkably judgmental, because you have to know that your table is an extreme outlier here.
I wasn’t trying to suggest it as rule or mandate, just my personal belief based on my tables experience.
I definitely would not enjoy playing under that kind of time pressure. We enjoy relaxing and having fun at our speed. Most turns involve significant role-play description that takes a lot longer than 30 seconds. And lotsa folks are slow at math.
I don’t see a lotof role play during combat (and that is what I was talking about). But I would recommend trying it. I was suspicious when my DM suggested, but dang it really made combat more exciting. I can’t think of going back

IoW: " There's no rule for that. Why are you rushing me? I need to decide what I need to do " >" yea dude why are yo ubeing a jerk about it? Let him take his turn instead of always trying to force us to make mistakes by rushing through our turns"
Not sure what you are trying to say. My group finds. 30 sec max turn length to be a blast. It was really liberating and made combat a lot more fun for us.

Clint_L

Hero
I don’t see a lotof role play during combat (and that is what I was talking about).
We sure do! No one just attacks or casts a spell, they maneuver, they describe the way they attack or cast their spell, they add some dialogue and description of what is unfolding. Often they don't attack at all but do something funky and unexpected, in character.

But we seldom do more than two combats in a session. Sometimes none. I only do combats when they are pretty meaningful to the story, so there's never really a situation where a combat doesn't have role-play opportunities aplenty. We're a very role play heavy table.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Not sure what you are trying to say. My group finds. 30 sec max turn length to be a blast. It was really liberating and made combat a lot more fun for us.
I think it would be fun at times with the right people. I could even see doing it during chances or high stakes events for a change.

I would not do it for a new player or my kids!

I had a mini con in my basement with like 10 players. I put out a little hourglass and flirted with using it to time turns…

Mercurius

Legend
My first thought on 30 seconds: "Gee, that sounds a bit harsh."

My second thought: "Actually, that could be kind of fun."

I think my turn is over. Bye.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
initially I was less that lukewarm about 5.5. And maybe now I lukewarm about some of it anyway.

While everyone is excited to see new subclasses and implementation of old ones, I am looking forward to something more much more mundane. And I don’t know if it is coming.

I would like a good index for the dmg…

I would like more and clearer examples of skills—-including stealth.

I would love some enhanced morale rules…

It’s not sexy but these things would be worth something for me, even if I keep 5e classes and monsters….
Man, those things sound great to me, too.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I would like a good index for the dmg…

I would like more and clearer examples of skills—-including stealth.

I would love some enhanced morale rules…
I would like them to work on usability - an index would be nice, as well as readable rules over walls of text.
All that please. Especially usable and readable rules. Some of the clarifications in the UA have been great while others have been nonsensical.

Remove ads