D&D (2024) Boring things that might mean something…

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
initially I was less that lukewarm about 5.5. And maybe now I lukewarm about some of it anyway.

While everyone is excited to see new subclasses and implementation of old ones, I am looking forward to something more much more mundane. And I don’t know if it is coming.

I would like a good index for the dmg…

I would like more and clearer examples of skills—-including stealth.

I would love some enhanced morale rules…

It’s not sexy but these things would be worth something for me, even if I keep 5e classes and monsters….

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
improved resting rules that shift from safe explosive forced to gradual & worthy of thought

an option that doesn't require the DM to ask "are you done, is that your turn?" multiple times during each player's turn

almost anything else focusing on DM needs & DM "pain points"

Reynard

Legend
improved resting rules that shift from safe explosive forced to gradual & worthy of thought

an option that doesn't require the DM to ask "are you done, is that your turn?" multiple times during each player's turn

almost anything else focusing on DM needs & DM "pain points"
I'm not sure I understand. Why is this a DM problem? It sounds like a player caused issue if it is an issue at all?

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I'm not sure I understand. Why is this a DM problem? It sounds like a player caused issue if it is an issue at all?
You quoted two specific things & nonspecific general possibility... Which "this" of the three?

Wotc has been beating a drum about how they want to address pain points & such while only focusing on player side stuff, it shouldn't be a stretch to see that DMs are also capable of having pain points worthy of addressing. I can't elaborate on any of the three though because I'm not sure if that bolded bit should be read as "a problem/pain point for DMs" or "a problem with the DM".

Reynard

Legend
You quoted two specific things & nonspecific general possibility... Which "this" of the three?

Wotc has been beating a drum about how they want to address pain points & such while only focusing on player side stuff, it shouldn't be a stretch to see that DMs are also capable of having pain points worthy of addressing. I can't elaborate on any of the three though because I'm not sure if that bolded bit should be read as "a problem/pain point for DMs" or "a problem with the DM".
Sorry, I was specifically referring to the "is that the vendor of your turn" thing. That's a player side problem IMO.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Sorry, I was specifically referring to the "is that the vendor of your turn" thing. That's a player side problem IMO.
No it's a rules problem that the UAs have actually made explicitly by design by explicitly permitting mid attack move/weapon change options. Take a hypothetical three attack PC.. after each attack they can move, switch to a new weapon, take a bonus action, stop and stare at the battle mat or their character sheet trying to decide what to do, or simply stop and stare at the dm awaiting a blow by blow status update before they continue. Some of those options can even be done one after the other in the middle of the single action extra attack chain.

If the DM does anything more aggressive than getting on everyone's nerves by repeatedly asking "is that it" and similar the DM is the one who looks like a jerk for rushing players by playing a NOSOUPFORYOU style card.

No it's a rules problem that the UAs have actually made explicitly by design by explicitly permitting mid attack move/weapon change options. Take a hypothetical three attack PC.. after each attack they can move, switch to a new weapon, take a bonus action, stop and stare at the battle mat or their character sheet trying to decide what to do, or simply stop and stare at the dm awaiting a blow by blow status update before they continue. Some of those options can even be done one after the other in the middle of the single action extra attack chain.

If the DM does anything more aggressive than getting on everyone's nerves by repeatedly asking "is that it" and similar the DM is the one who looks like a jerk for rushing players by playing a NOSOUPFORYOU style card.
No that is a player thing. We allow 30 sec. Max fo complete your turn and that includes rolling all dice. Taking more time should not be needed, no matter the character or class

Clint_L

Hero
No that is a player thing. We allow 30 sec. Max fo complete your turn and that includes rolling all dice. Taking more time should not be needed, no matter the character or class
How you enjoy playing at your table is up to you, and bless. But proclaiming that it should not take more than 30 seconds to complete your turn comes off to me as remarkably judgmental, because you have to know that your table is an extreme outlier here.

I definitely would not enjoy playing under that kind of time pressure. We enjoy relaxing and having fun at our speed. Most turns involve significant role-play description that takes a lot longer than 30 seconds. We're moving miniatures around. Maybe chatting and joking, not to mention snacking and drinking. And lotsa folks are slow at math.

For us it's game night, time to chill and hang out, not boot camp.

Remove ads