Bounded Accuracy L&L

an_idol_mind

Explorer
I'd prefer somewhere in between - numbers go up, but not as quickly as they used to.

If you could take the 3rd edition numbers progression and cut them maybe in half, I think that would be a decent place to start.

DNH

First Post
Really like the sound of this. It addresses a personal gripe that I have had with D&D for a long time. Looking forward to seeing more (when we get to see more character progression rules, probably).

I can't see how established players can complain about "too much maths" - time was when we had to try and figure out how to fit 33,000 cubic feet of fireball in the room!

YRUSirius

First Post
It does leave me with one question I've been wondering though, and I ask this in all honesty: If we assume that 5 goblins are a challenge to a party of 1st-level characters, how many of you DMs are going to have the patience to manage, let's say, 25 goblins fighting a party of 10th-level adventurers?
Hm, a group of 25 goblins could be split up to groups of 5 and every group would attack one PC. So for every group of 5 kobolds that attack you throw 5d20 for the attack, you count how many attacks hit and throw damage dice accordingly.

I'm inclined to handle this differently though. Don't make attacks for the NPCs but let the PCs make AC rolls against static monster attack stats. You'll say: "Everyone of you gets attacked by five goblins, everyone makes 5 AC rolls (with a bonus of classic AC -10). The players roll all the dice, so the workload is handed over to the PCs instead of the lazy DM. This way everyone gets to feel special too, if they defend 4 of 5 attacks for example. :)

-YRUSirius

I suppose an interesting question is how to handle "elite" and "solo" monsters. A Dragon is usually a solitary enemy but a difficult challenge. SO naturally, it will have a lot of hit points. But is that alone sufficient, or doesn't a party actually get a certain advantage against him thanks to having multiple actions. Even if most abilities, even charms and dominates and the like, are based or limited by the target's hit points, some abilities will not. Isn't the Moradin's Defender ability giving an enemy disadvantage on his attacks? Imagine that used against a high hit point creature - it's far more powerful than it normally would be against a lower hit point monster with allies.

Or will high level creatures (excluding PCs?) by default gain extra actions?

Scribble

First Post
I suppose an interesting question is how to handle "elite" and "solo" monsters. A Dragon is usually a solitary enemy but a difficult challenge. SO naturally, it will have a lot of hit points. But is that alone sufficient, or doesn't a party actually get a certain advantage against him thanks to having multiple actions. Even if most abilities, even charms and dominates and the like, are based or limited by the target's hit points, some abilities will not. Isn't the Moradin's Defender ability giving an enemy disadvantage on his attacks? Imagine that used against a high hit point creature - it's far more powerful than it normally would be against a lower hit point monster with allies.

Or will high level creatures (excluding PCs?) by default gain extra actions?

He DID say as you gain levels you gain extra abilities. Perhaps for powerful monsters (and maybe certain PCs) this means extra attacks?

He DID say as you gain levels you gain extra abilities. Perhaps for powerful monsters (and maybe certain PCs) this means extra attacks?
Could be. For some monsters it makes sense, for some less so. (Imagine you're a tthe level you fight Giants like you used to fight Goblins, but every Giant still has 2 attacks...)

sheadunne

Explorer
I'm not convinced this will do anything to improve my enjoyment of the game. The last thing I want to be doing is rolling 20d6 damage at level 10 because the monster has 987 hp. Or fighting 84 goblins who die without me needing to roll. And I certainly don't want to be DMing that game. I want less dice not more. If you can't fit the dice in one hand, it's too many dice!

That said, I look forward to seeing how it shapes up.

Remove ads