• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bow for Pursuit Avenger

cmbarona

First Post
I'll soon be playing an Elven Avenger with Censure of Pursuit (I know, big surprise, but I like the zealous, bloodthirsty fella :))

Anyway, since I get Longbow proficiency for being an Elf, I was wondering: has anyone come across a really good Bow enchantment for Pursuit Avengers?

Obryn

Hero
Well, there's nothing to let you use your Oath of Enmity ability from a distance... It's melee attacks only.

So you're basically looking at anything else that will pump your Basic Ranged attacks. Maybe multiclass to Ranger to get a Ranged ability, pick up a Greatbow, or get any of the regular Ranged feats.

-O

cmbarona

First Post
Perhaps I should have specified. I know that it will be a suboptimal choice, so this is more of a thought exercise. Are there any enchantments that will, say, let me isolate a target, for example?

Mort_Q

First Post
Cold Iron Weapon gives you immobilized as a daily, as does Paralyzing. Is that what you're thinking?

If you use actual keywords, then they're actually easy to find with the D&DI Compendium.

[edit]Ninja-ed.... but Spiderkissed is melee only.[/edit]

Last edited:

cmbarona

First Post
Yeah, these are the sorts of ideas I'm looking for. Or, for example, I noticed the Skyrender enchantment, which would be a nice way to get flyers pinned down so I could close the gap for my Oath.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Bow is a good backup weapon for those times when your opponents are flying, you're immobilized, or you are otherwise unable to reach them.

And if you are an elf, your basic ranged attack with the bow is likely to only be a couple of points behind your melee attacks with your powers.

Vicious is good just for that crit chance, but bows with powers that can bring a flier down is probably better.

Last edited:

Craith

First Post
a Transporting Weapon is kinda cool, hit a soft target in the back, switch places, you can attack another squishy target and your friends will be happy to have an isolated enemy - on the other hand, its even better if another mobile charakter gets the transporting weapon and switches the enemy around ... who might want to get back to his friends

another good thing: its an encounter power, so you can do it every combat.

James McMurray

First Post
If it's fliers you're worried about, get the party's Orb user an Orb of Indisputable Gravity. It's only a minor action to activate, and pretty much grounds any flier that gets hit until the user's next turn.

You could even get one for yourself if you muli-class into something that could use it, though you may want quickdraw to avoid having to spend 2 actions to use it.

cmbarona

First Post
If it's fliers you're worried about, get the party's Orb user an Orb of Indisputable Gravity. It's only a minor action to activate, and pretty much grounds any flier that gets hit until the user's next turn.

You could even get one for yourself if you muli-class into something that could use it, though you may want quickdraw to avoid having to spend 2 actions to use it.

While I appreciate the suggestion, that's not really what I meant this thread to be about. I'm sure we could spend plenty of time finding weak areas of the Avenger's features and power selections and ways to compensate for them by other members of the party. And I'm not really worried about flyers, or anything else, for that matter. I'm just interested in finding neat stuff I can do with Bow enchantments as a Pursuit Avenger.

In particular, I really like the Transposing Weapon suggestion (thanks, Craith). I think that could go very well with all of the teleport powers I would already have at my disposal.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads