Bracers of Armor, and Armor Question

Graywolf-ELM

Explorer
Can someone direct me to a thread discussing this? I looked for several pages back, and was unable to find one.

If not, a player has called into question the lack of wording saying that Bracers of Armor do not work with Armor, and that the aura of armor should work with armor being worn.

My first inclination is to say that Bracers do not stack with worn Armor. Anyone else know an official ruling, and barring that an opinion on the subject?

Thank You,
GW

drnuncheon

Explorer
Both bracers of armor and regular armor provide an armor bonus to AC. Since they both provide the same type of bonus (and it's not a dodge bonus), they don't stack.

J

Graywolf-ELM

Explorer
drnuncheon said:
Both bracers of armor and regular armor provide an armor bonus to AC. Since they both provide the same type of bonus (and it's not a dodge bonus), they don't stack.

J

This is the basis for my ruling, just doing the rare double-checking of myself, to make sure I'm not completely crazy.

Thanks,
GW

MichaelH

First Post
Graywolf-ELM said:
a player has called into question the lack of wording saying that Bracers of Armor do not work with Armor, and that the aura of armor should work with armor being worn.
Show him page 122 of the 3.5 PH under the Armor section, Armor/Shield Bonus paragraph, which contains the following:

"The armor bonus from a suit of armor doesn't stack with other effects or items that grant an armor bonus, such as the mage armor spell or bracers of armor."

frugal

First Post
Graywolf-ELM said:
Can someone direct me to a thread discussing this? I looked for several pages back, and was unable to find one.

If not, a player has called into question the lack of wording saying that Bracers of Armor do not work with Armor, and that the aura of armor should work with armor being worn.

My first inclination is to say that Bracers do not stack with worn Armor. Anyone else know an official ruling, and barring that an opinion on the subject?

Thank You,
GW

from the SRD3.5:

Bracers of Armor: These items appear to be wrist or arm guards. They surround the wearer with an invisible but tangible
field of force, granting him an armor bonus of +1 to +8, just as though he were wearing armor. Both bracers must be worn for
the magic to be effective.

So Bracers of Armour provide an "Armour" bonus. Armour (chain, plate etc) provides an "Armour" bonus. As bonuses with the same type do not stack you will get which ever is higher.

There is a loop hole that can be used. Magic armour provides an "Enhancement" bonus. so Leather Armout +5 gives a +2 "Armour" bonus and a +5 "Enhancement" bonus. Used in conjunction with Bracers of Armour +4 you get: "Armour" bonus +4 (from bracers) and "Enchancement" bonus +5 from the leather armour for a total of +9.

Staffan

Legend
frugal said:
There is a loop hole that can be used. Magic armour provides an "Enhancement" bonus. so Leather Armout +5 gives a +2 "Armour" bonus and a +5 "Enhancement" bonus. Used in conjunction with Bracers of Armour +4 you get: "Armour" bonus +4 (from bracers) and "Enchancement" bonus +5 from the leather armour for a total of +9.
Actually, no. The enhancement bonus from magic armor does not apply to AC. It applies to the suit's armor bonus. So, if you have a pair of bracers of armor +5 and put on a studded leather +3, you wouldn't have a +5 armor bonus, a +3 armor bonus and a +3 enhancement bonus. You'd have a +5 armor bonus and a +6 armor bonus, so only the +6 would work. That's why magic shields and magic armor work together, by the way: you don't get two enhancement bonuses to AC, your shield gets an enhancement bonus to its shield bonus and the armor gets an enhancement bonus to its armor bonus.

BTW, the same mechanic is used for the amulet of natural armor and, IIRC, the barkskin spell: they don't provide a natural armor bonus anymore, they provide an enhancement bonus to natural armor.

Remove ads