Braille for wizards

A prestige class? That doesn't suit this suggestion.

You could make Braille a language and/or require a feat, and it would take longer to read or write magic in Braille. You would also want a low-level spell that could write in Braille (while any wizard could theoretically learn to read it, writing it in real-life often takes a machine). Realistically very few wizards would bother learning Braille. Cures for blindness are fairly common, and it would probably take longer to study a spellbook.

As another language, a wizard could spend a spell or two (Comprehend Languages plus Read Magic, as an example) to decipher the spellbook... slowly.

Celebrim

Legend
Answer:

Are you the DM? If so the answer is, "Yes." Otherwise, if the answer is, "No.", then ask your DM.

Or in other words, this is not something that can be answered objectively. It depends entirely on the subjective preferences of the DM. In my campaign for example, magical notation is not just a language at all, but several languages written in parallel that mark collectively the verbal, vocal, and somatic components. It's equivalent to reading Latin (or Sumerian) and two kinds of musical notation at the same time. Because of the complexity of the language and the fact that no one actually understands the meaning of the verbal portion, no one has ever translated it into Braille (nor for that matter has anyone ever thought to invent Braille, although it's possible such a system might exist in the Underdark).

As a code, I don't think it would work very well as there are plenty of magical tools for reading unknown languages or writing systems, and even decipher script would work here.

Now, I see no reason why it couldn't be done and if some DM wanted to make 'Night Reading' a part of their campaign, I'd have no objection. But there is no guidance on this subject and it's solely the province of the individual DM.

Igwilly

First Post
Honestly, it's a variant spellbook with an added language.
In RAW, there are simple rules for alternative spellbooks, for all kinds of books. Runes on clay tablets, markings on trees, a complex system of knots, the possibilities are limitless. The only problem is about portability. Medieval codices aren't very light from start. But, it you work out with the DM, or if you are the DM...

Shin Okada

Explorer
W/could wizards use Braille to write their spells to confuse their enemies?

AFAIK, the rule does not specify which language or letters must be used for writing one's spell book. So yes, if your PC can read/write Braille, he can use Braille to write his spellbook, provided Braille does exist in your game world.

But I also say that by RAW it will take only the usual effort to decipher other wizard's spell book whether if the book is written in Braille or not. Because, again, it is not specified if the spellbook must be written in letters common to the readers when one tries to decipher other wizard's spellbook.

Maybe, your DM allows you to make a spell book which needs Decipher Script check in addition to usual way to decipher magical writings, provided Braille is not so popular in your gaming world AND your PC pays some special cost to learn such a un-popular way of writings (and maybe extra pages needed for writing each spells). But still, by RAW, lower-level spells such as Comprehend Languages will easily allow enemy wizards to read it.

Remember that even a spell book written in geometric glyphs by Geometer prestige class (Complete Arcane) can be deciphered by other wizards in usual way, only with slightly higher (+5) difficulty.

At the same time, taking Geometer prestige class and just change the flavor, I mean, claiming that your "glyphs" are actually Braille, may work, too.

Last edited:

Igwilly

First Post
The Geometer is actually a good idea. The class has an ability that basically means: spells in your spellbook take much less space.

Last edited:

Remove ads