D&D (2024) Brainstorm features that reduce complexity / speed up play.

Payndz

Made You All Meet In A Tavern; also writes novels
One simple idea off the top of my head:

When you use Cleave, instead of making an additional attack roll against the second target, just use the result of the attack roll against the original target.
Cleave in my retroclone You All Meet In A Tavern is automatic for fighters; if they have left-over damage after killing an enemy, it goes to someone else, no need to roll. (The GM decides where it goes, but I suggested the strongest remaining enemy of the same type.)

This obviously wouldn't work for games where positioning is everything like 4e, but that's not my preferred type of combat anyway.

Payndz

Made You All Meet In A Tavern; also writes novels
Not going to happen but...

No attack rolls.
Just damage (possibly 1d20+ weapon + Str)
Armor increases max HP. And gets repaired overnight.
Ha! That's exactly what my aforementioned 'clone does (or rather doesn't) - all attacks are assumed to do at least 1 HP damage, so there's no need for a to-hit roll. (And that way, everyone is guaranteed to get the chance to do something every round. No more "you missed, talk again in five minutes".)

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Not going to happen but...

No attack rolls.
Just damage (possibly 1d20+ weapon + Str)
Armor increases max HP. And gets repaired overnight.

I mean, with the amount of HP creatures have in 5e, I think removing the attack roll and rolling the fiction in the damage roll could be acceptable.

Make the the Dodge Action something allowing a Dex saves to halve damage (meaning monks and rogue would be able to shrug all damage on a successful Dodge action once the gain Evasion).

And I guess spell attack rolls could be switched to auto-hit OR allow a save.

Armor could had a various amount of HP either at the start of the day. I'd go with a flat number x PB.

Remove ads