• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Brainstorming ideas for quicker gameplay

Blackbrrd

First Post
Currently I skip players that don't do one of two things when it is their turn:
a) ask a question regarding the combat
b) declare what action they are taking and roll the dice

If they don't do it, I skip the player and move on in the initative order. The can interrupt me to get their action and keep their place in the initiative order if they declare what action they are taking and rolling the dice. ;)

I try to say who's turn it is and who the next player will be. That way you should get a very short warning. You have to pay attention all the time or just revert to hitting the closest thing with the first at-will you see.

99% of the time this works out perfectly and a round goes in 5-15 minutes.

zenram

First Post
Been working fairly well for level 14-15-16--17-18 so far. Been tweaking and trying other %-ratios before that. It a good bit more brutal. I would suggest starting with a bit lower numbers (or rather, more hp and less +% damage) and work your way up and see what works for your group.

It's a question of your groups desire of death, many players just launch themselves over the monster and when they realize that the monsters are more powerful of what they expected, it is too late.

lunanoko

First Post
It's a question of your groups desire of death, many players just launch themselves over the monster and when they realize that the monsters are more powerful of what they expected, it is too late.

That's why you should inform your players of rule changes before the session starts ;)

Anyway, one tip I got from someone else is to use those pins that you use to hang your wet clothes on a line (no idea what those are called in English) for initiative. I wrote one name of a player on every pin, and made 3 DM pins. Now when initiative is rolled, I place the pins in order on my DM screen.

(I hope this makes sense, as my English is far from perfect :heh: )

aco175

Legend
That's why you should inform your players of rule changes before the session starts ;)

Anyway, one tip I got from someone else is to use those pins that you use to hang your wet clothes on a line (no idea what those are called in English) for initiative. I wrote one name of a player on every pin, and made 3 DM pins. Now when initiative is rolled, I place the pins in order on my DM screen.

(I hope this makes sense, as my English is far from perfect :heh: )

I realy like this idea, it is simple enough and everyone can see them. My only problem is that I do not use a screen.

By the way, we call them clothes-pins in my part of America and your english is better than most Americans graduating high-school.

Engilbrand

First Post
I have the players preroll their dice. The have a set of 10 numbers they can pull from for skills and combat. The also get to add a total of +10 to the set. When it's time for something, they scratch one off and tell me what they have.
This does 3 things:
1. It gives the players more initial narrative control over the combat.
2. We don't have to worry about lost dice and stuff.
3. They get more crits and hits in general. (Mind you, they still miss when they think that it would be good to miss.)

Erywin

First Post
For DMs that run with a Laptop, this initiative tracking program is a godsend! Keeps track of your Player's and Badguys inits as well as handling HP and power recharges! Check it out, you won't be disappointed. Plus, Mort has been awesome with the updates and responses to the public.

Cheers,
E

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads