WotC Brand New D&D Video Game from WotC's New Acquisition Tuque Games

Tuque Games has announced it's working on a brand new D&/D video game. "We're developing a brand-new game based in the widely celebrated, enduring, and immensely popular Dungeons & Dragons universe. This yet to be announced title is steepled in classic D&D lore. We aspire to push this game to new heights for the genre. It’s an honour and a privilege to begin a new chapter for Dungeons &...

Tuque Games has announced it's working on a brand new D&/D video game. "We're developing a brand-new game based in the widely celebrated, enduring, and immensely popular Dungeons & Dragons universe. This yet to be announced title is steepled in classic D&D lore. We aspire to push this game to new heights for the genre. It’s an honour and a privilege to begin a new chapter for Dungeons & Dragons video games."

Logo_Tuque_Color_invert.png

Not only that, but the company has been purchased by WotC! The press release went out earlier today:

RENTON, Wash., Oct. 29, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. (NASDAQ: HAS), today announced that it has acquired Tuque Games, a digital game development studio based in Montreal. Tuque is led by veterans of the game industry with experience working for leading publishers. Tuque will continue the development of games for Wizards of the Coast's best-known brands, beginning with Dungeons & Dragons.

"At Wizards, we're continuing our commitment to creating new ways to bring our fan favorite brands to life," said Chris Cocks, President, Wizards of the Coast. "Our unique approach of connecting fans around the tabletop as well as through our expanding portfolio of digital games is redefining what it means to be a games company."

Founded in 2012 by Jeff Hattem, Tuque Games released their first title, Livelock, to critical acclaim in 2016. Now with over 55 full-time employees, Tuque will focus on the development of digital games based on the popular Dungeons & Dragons franchise.

"Tuque is thrilled to have the opportunity to be part of the Wizards of the Coast team," said Jeff Hattem, Founder, Tuque Games. "By working more closely together, we can accelerate our joint vision and bring to life new games, characters and worlds in Wizards of the Coast's roster of franchises."

"In Tuque, we believe we have found a unique partner that pairs the nimbleness of an indie studio with the veteran leadership and scale required to deliver complex AAA games for our largest franchises," said David Schwartz, VP of Digital Publishing, Wizards of the Coast. "We are excited to bring Jeff and the Tuque team to the Wizards of the Coast family, which we believe will allow us to continue to meet the needs of our fans while enabling us to scale our digital games development capabilities even faster."

It seems there's a bit of a D&D video game renaissance going on. Baldur's Gate 3 is coming, as is Solasta: Crown of the Magister.

gyor

Legend
I read that too quickly and for a moment I thought you were saying Solasta was copying Larian. I was about to be very sad as a Solasta Dev :(

It'd be pretty hard for you to copy a game that hasn't been released yet, although I'd be terribly impressed if you had, it'd mean you'd have some spies with mad skills on your team, a regular James/Jill Bond! 😁

Humour a side, you staked your territory out pretty clearly with the demo and when it comes to 5e games their is plenty of room!

I enjoy telling my crazy ideas and suggestions about future projects but we know nothing, and they don't want to cause hype yet. If we want a really good game then we have to await two years at least.

Sometimes I think WotC is working in the metaplot of the future titles, and theses are linked to mass media.

I wonder about a special software to play d20 using different graphic engines. Why? It would be like an informatic version of the SRD. Who would use it? The answer is easy. Many videogame studios have got some cancelled project. They could these graphics to be recycled as a mod for this "freeware". It would be like a company selling the same miniatures again, but this time using the open licenced published by other. How to explain it better? Let's imagine I buy the core pack (by Hasbro) allowing to create your own adventures or videogames, like Spore, Little Big Planet or "Dreams"(comingsoon for PS4), and later I can buy expansions and DLCs, but published by other videogame studios, for example Epic Games would sell a expansion about heroes who can build wall, floors and roofs here to put traps against the husks, EA about building a castle and growing vegetables, fishing, collecting bug, gems and practicing front a mirror to improve the charisma, PopCap games about a pack of monster plant pets vs undeads: garden warfare, Capcom a pack with the characters of Darkstalkers, SEGA a pack with heroes and monsters from "Golden Axe", Gearbox Software could sell a pack with the characters from Battleborn. Do you think this fool idea could work anytime in the future?

* If there is a videogame of Oriental Adventures maybe Hasbro would rather partnership with some Asia company because this knows better the Asian market, but Taiwaneses, South-Koreans and Japaneses would have their own point of view about how should be an Oriental-style fantasy work.

Wizards of the coast have ruined dragonlance with the crap movies ( which deserved more of a lord of the rings budget and trilogy saga then the tripe they put out with the half baked dragons of autumn twilight cartoon and that strait pc dnd movie that would have failed to get shown on syfy network) What they would do if they were smart and cared would be to partner with a studio like cd project red to put out a triple A title akin to the best game ever,Witcher 3 only in the dnd universe-with the amount of best selling books from the 80’s there would be plenty of material to work with and could just focus on making an incredible game tied to the story’s that were as good then as they would be now. Not a free to play mmo with micro transactions and pay to win, but more of a single player cinema experience that you play where choices have consequences and focus on the story (that could include multiplayer ) That’s just my two cents on what I would like to see, will never happened but if it did would be dream come true to die hard fans of hero’s of the lance and my personal favorite character of all time Raistlin

Remove ads

Remove ads