Brandon Sanderson to write last Wheel of Time book

Kunimatyu

First Post
http://www.dragonmount.com/News/?p=326

As a reader of Brandon's standalone fantasy novel Elantris, I think this'll be awesome -- Brandon's strength is in a powerful ending, and he's not prone to characters rambling on about dresses and politics.

I think it's entirely possible he'll do a better job than Jordan would have, honestly...

Simplicity

Explorer
I don't like to speak badly of the recently deceased, but Robert Jordan was getting really annoying with the later books in the Wheel of Time series. If the guy can actually bring the series to an end in a single book, it's guaranteed to be better than anything Jordan wrote. However, the book is going to have to go something like this...

Egwene: "Oh darn. I got killed"
Matt: "Me too! Shoot!"
Nynaeve: "I seem to be dead as well."
Elaine: "Also dying. Seriously, is anyone here not dying?"
Logan: "I'm not. Oh wait. Wait. No, I'm dying now."
Perrin: "I think I'm fine."
Logan: Stab
Perrin: "Darn it, Logan! That was my only spleen."
Rand: "Sorry guys, I had to do it. I'm going crazy after all."

I do look forward to the last book being written though. Once it's finally complete, maybe I'll be motivated enough to finish the last few books.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Olgar Shiverstone said:
That's good ... and would be even better if they'd fire the current editor and find a new one.
Considering that's been Mrs. Robert Jordan, I don't think that is happening. ;)

The issue has been time in editing, according to news I've read. Same editor, but less rush on the last one made a *big* difference. Things actually happened.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Now, I'll be honest - I have never read a Wheel of Time book. I came in here looking for news to tell my wife, who has read them.

So, basically, there's going to be a final book written by someone who has a style radically different from the original author, so the tone of this final book is very likely to be completely different from the rest of the series?

Now, I have been told Mr. Jordan had his weaknesses as an author - but color me perplexed by this idea.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Umbran said:
So, basically, there's going to be a final book written by someone who has a style radically different from the original author, so the tone of this final book is very likely to be completely different from the rest of the series?
According to what I read, the author was chosen due to Harriet's (Mrs. RJ) feeling of match of style/feel. Some chapters are already done, some fleshed out, and there are copious notes (written and audio).

So... its sort of a 'wait-and-see' for me.

Kunimatyu

First Post
Umbran said:
Now, I'll be honest - I have never read a Wheel of Time book. I came in here looking for news to tell my wife, who has read them.

Now, I have been told Mr. Jordan had his weaknesses as an author - but color me perplexed by this idea.

If you'd read any of the dreck that constituted books 5 and on, you'd understand. Good world, good characters, great start, failed execution. Sanderson stepping in can really only help things at this point.

drothgery

First Post
Kunimatyu said:
If you'd read any of the dreck that constituted books 5 and on, you'd understand. Good world, good characters, great start, failed execution. Sanderson stepping in can really only help things at this point.

Eh. The only ones I have a low opinion of are book 8 / The Path of Daggers, which really needed another editting cycle due to a severe lack of polish, and book 10 / Crossroads of Twilight which is the book where nothing happens. I mean, the whole series could have been plotted a bit tighter, some bits were kind of overdone, and I don't think he quite realized how disturbing a few scenes were (because I don't think they were intended to be disturbing; there were plenty that were clearly disturbing and intended to be that way), but getting ten good to great books out of eleven main sequence novels and one side extended novella isn't bad.

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
This could be... very disastrous. Say what you will about Jordan's writing, but he had a style that he owned which, I think, will be difficult to imitate. I don't know anything about this guy Sanderson (though now I'm very curious about Elantris), but if they're not careful this could go horribly wrong.

Of course, they probably will be very careful. I suspect they're enlisting him to organize and flesh out Jordan's notes on the story. A glorified editor of sorts.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
GoodKingJayIII said:
Of course, they probably will be very careful. I suspect they're enlisting him to organize and flesh out Jordan's notes on the story. A glorified editor of sorts.
No, he'll be writing. Notes do not constitute a story, unless you're Christopher Tolkien.

Remove ads