Branimir's Open Letter to Games Workshop

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't disagree with anything of that GW's statement. But as I have said: some people actively try to find social injustice in everything, and call those who oppose them bigoted.
Well, that's a different discussion altogether. Can we agree that the statement is fine, and that disagreement with it is problematic?

macd21

Adventurer
can you provide an example? this feels like a strawman argument.

It is. It’s a distraction from the issue. GW basically says “bigots will not be missed” and suddenly you have people complaining about social justice warriors ruining everything. The only people who should have a problem with GW’s statement are bigots. Anyone who has a problem with it needs to take a good hard look at themselves in the mirror.

Immeril

Explorer
Well, that's a different discussion altogether. Can we agree that the statement is fine, and that disagreement with it is problematic?
Absolutely. To be honest, it's been a while since I was involved in the online GW community. Last I checked, the vitriol was directed to the Primaris Marines. But if the current gripe mostly consists of (as other posters suggested) black Space Marines, then I agree: there is a problem in the GW community.

Immeril

Explorer
It is. It’s a distraction from the issue. GW basically says “bigots will not be missed” and suddenly you have people complaining about social justice warriors ruining everything. The only people who should have a problem with GW’s statement are bigots. Anyone who has a problem with it needs to take a good hard look at themselves in the mirror.
In my opinion, it's more about desensitization. Spark enough of those silly discussions (remember the PETA complaints about Space Wolves wearing fur, and whaling in Assassin's Creed IV), and some people will stop caring about actual problems.
Look at COVID, every day more and more people start ignoring the directives of their governments, despite the occasional flare up.

pogre

Legend
I have been trying to figure out who Branimir is - is he an Eastern European (perhaps Polish) modeler and painter? I'm just trying to understand why folks would care about this guy's take on the GW statement. He seems to expect to have a big impact on social media. My googling gave me some possibilities, but nothing definitive.

Can we agree that the statement is fine, and that disagreement with it is problematic?

Yep. I thought GW's statement was particularly well-stated.

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
The article I previously linked to.
okay then, I have to agree, dressing up like they're Egyptian feels legitimately problematic, and trying to dismiss concerns because it's based off the costume Elizabeth Taylor wore in Cleopatra is ignoring the issues with her role in the first place.

not sure how this is an example of "some people actively try[ing] to find social injustice in everything" either when the group very openly and publicly dressed like that to promote themselves, that's like calling someone a marksman because they're good at hitting the broad side of a barn.

Immeril

Explorer
okay then, I have to agree, dressing up like they're Egyptian feels legitimately problematic, and trying to dismiss concerns because it's based off the costume Elizabeth Taylor wore in Cleopatra is ignoring the issues with her role in the first place.

not sure how this is an example of "some people actively try[ing] to find social injustice in everything" either when the group very openly and publicly dressed like that to promote themselves, that's like calling someone a marksman because they're good at hitting the broad side of a barn.
Because it's a kid's movie? Because little girls like to dress up as princesses? Personally, I take bigger issue with the Bactrian camel on the movie poster. Egypt doesn't have Bactrian camels, it has dromedaries.

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
I have been trying to figure out who Branimir is - is he an Eastern European (perhaps Polish) modeler and painter? I'm just trying to understand why folks would care about this guy's take on the GW statement. He seems to expect to have a big impact on social media. My googling gave me some possibilities, but nothing definitive.

Yep. I thought GW's statement was particularly well-stated.
I actually looked through the article and read "The open letter was recently publicly published to the /r/KotakuInAction subreddit." so I mean he knows his audience at least.

Remove ads