Branimir's Open Letter to Games Workshop

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
Because it's a kid's movie? Because little girls like to dress up as princesses?
so? you can teach children about things like racism. you can dress like a princess without looking like a caricature from someone else's culture.
Personally, I take bigger issue with the Bactrian camel on the movie poster. Egypt doesn't have Bactrian camels, it has dromedaries.
right. okay. if this is how you view others calling out racism I'm not exactly sure why I should be taking your opinion this matter seriously.

Immeril

Explorer
so? you can teach children about things like racism. you can dress like a princess without looking like a caricature from someone else's culture.

right. okay. if this is how you view others calling out racism I'm not exactly sure why I should be taking your opinion this matter seriously.
Okay. So I suppose that, if I were to dress as a centurion for a fancy dress party, I can expect criticism from Italians?

Esau Cairn

Explorer
Suffice to say that I see these debates a bit differently because I don't live in the US.

A highly reductive rationalization.

Is GW in the US? Is Branimir in the US?
Does everyone in the US—or even all Warhammer fans in the US—see things the same way?

I've lived in nine countries of very different cultures in my life and worked in the wake of Very Bad Things Humans Do To Each Other, so I see things a bit differently. Oh, wait. No, I don't. Tolerating intolerance rarely—I'd say probably never but I mislike absolutes—leads to any kind of beneficial situation.

Shiroiken

Legend
While I don't care about the author or GW, my takeaway is that politics really doesn't have a place in gaming. It's too divisive, drawing people away from the focus of the activity, which is the joy of gaming itself. GW (or WotC or whoever) can put out any statement or viewpoint they want, and even if I disagree with it I can still buy, play, and love the game. I don't judge a company by its political views, but by the quality of the product. I choose who I game with, and if I disapprove of them, I can choose to not game with them.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
While I don't care about the author or GW, my takeaway is that politics really doesn't have a place in gaming. It's too divisive, drawing people away from the focus of the activity, which is the joy of gaming itself. GW (or WotC or whoever) can put out any statement or viewpoint they want, and even if I disagree with it I can still buy, play, and love the game. I don't judge a company by its political views, but by the quality of the product. I choose who I game with, and if I disapprove of them, I can choose to not game with them.
Not abusing people is not politics, and I definitely want not abusing people in my gaming.

Immeril

Explorer
A highly reductive rationalization.

Is GW in the US? Is Branimir in the US?
Does everyone in the US—or even all Warhammer fans in the US—see things the same way?

I've lived in nine countries of very different cultures in my life and worked in the wake of Very Bad Things Humans Do To Each Other, so I see things a bit differently. Oh, wait. No, I don't. Tolerating intolerance rarely—I'd say probably never but I mislike absolutes—leads to any kind of beneficial situation.
All right, what I meant by that statement.

Concerning BLM: Yes, racism is definitely a major part of the problem. Yes, it is a fact that people of color are more likely to be pulled over than white people (not only in the US). Yes, there is a certain percentage of policemen that is trigger-happy, that uses excessive force.
Another part of the problem would seem to be (at least compared to my country) the Second Amendment. If I were to be a police officer, and I should assume that every civilian that I talk to is a potential gun owner, then I could see myself being on edge.

Suggesting that a problem could have more than one component doesn't mean that I'm ignoring the first component.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
All right, what I meant by that statement.

Concerning BLM: Yes, racism is definitely a major part of the problem. Yes, it is a fact that people of color are more likely to be pulled over than white people (not only in the US). Yes, there is a certain percentage of policemen that is trigger-happy, that uses excessive force.
Another part of the problem would seem to be (at least compared to my country) the Second Amendment. If I were to be a police officer, and I should assume that every civilian that I talk to is a potential gun owner, then I could see myself being on edge.

Suggesting that a problem could have more than one component doesn't mean that I'm ignoring the first component.
Folks, this is not a open season thread on politics, BLM, and the police. Stay on topic, please. The actual topic has barely been mentioned, in favour of genera political diversions.

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
why is the argument about politics "it distracts from playing the game!"? when I'm down to playing a game I'm focused on playing. this doesn't mean I won't critique the game outside of playing it, I certainly will if I feel the need.

also if that's distracting, imagine someone playing "oh man this game I'm enjoying right now sure has some bad stereotypes about people like me!"

Remove ads