D&D General Breaking Out of "Default Actions"

Even if attacking isn't the best course of action, it's rarely so far behind that the difference in success rate won't make up for it. Because a character is built to succeed at their default action, which means they're much more likely to succeed at that, than they are to succeed with any other action they might take.

You'd have to be in a situation where the default action was actually detrimental, or where the non-standard action was pretty much guaranteed, before it was worth acting outside of your specialty. In any given situation, the most important thing is that you do something; finding the optimal action for that situation is a distant second.

Of course, there are other games where an improvised action isn't tantamount to wasting your turn, but D&D is not that sort of game; and it hasn't been, for at least two decades.

See, this also illustrates the problem: The Help action, in most scenarios, is terrible tactics. There are rare cases where it is worthwhile, but mostly you will accomplish far less than if you just swung a sword or cast a spell yourself.

This isn't really a flaw in the game design, per se. The Help action is not situational--it's usable pretty much all the time--so it has to be balanced conservatively to keep it from taking over combat. But there's no sense using unorthodox tactics if all they get you is a measly Help action. The DM has to encourage nonstandard tactics by providing nonstandard (and substantial) rewards.
Well, in some situations, the help action is better. I can knock someone prone and risk failure and now my goal of giving other melee combatants advantage is useless, or I can use the help action and guarantee success. But you're correct, in that situation, unless, for some reason my sword can't do damage, it's just better to attack.

I struggle with this one. I have a player of a wizard who oftend finished an entire adventuring day with the same spell slots they started with, having done nothing but firebolt. I'm honestly not sure how to deal with it, or even if I should be delaing with it.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I struggle with this one. I have a player of a wizard who oftend finished an entire adventuring day with the same spell slots they started with, having done nothing but firebolt. I'm honestly not sure how to deal with it, or even if I should be delaing with it.

I figure it’s their choice. If the other players disapprove, it’s up to them to express it.

Weiley31

Legend
Cantrips are technically your "0-MP" move or your "default weapon" ala the Martial character's basic melee weapon attack.

Penalizing them for it would be a negative.

I have a druid character and, in the game I play, I never really feel threatened enough to need to do anything other than cast cantrips. I feel the party can, mostly, handle most of the encounters we deal with.

Most of my spellcasting deals with out of combat issues or, occasionally, dispelling spell effects. In that game, I feel the DM could crank the game up a notch to make it more deadly. But I don't think this is the issue the OP is talking about but, maybe, that might be why your wizard never casts other spells.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
One issue is that it's hard to quantify the effectiveness of non-standard actions, because they rely upon (a) the player having a sufficient grasp of the imaginary situation to picture the existence of the option, (b) the DM agreeing that such an option is something the character is able to attempt, within the bounds of their available actions, and (c) the DM not deciding that it's going to require the use of a skill or ability with which the character has no aptitude.

I think this is a really major set of points here. We can unpack them a little bit, to see a bit more...

(a) The player having a sufficient grasp of the imaginary situation.
Has the GM given sufficient description of that situation?​
Does the player have any narrative control such that they can make a situation happen if the GM has given a blank slate?​

(b) the DM agreeing that such an option is something the character is able to attempt
Does the system work on "Yes, and..." principles?​

(c) The DM not deciding that it is going to require something with which the character has no aptitude
See previous not about narrative control.​
How precise are skill definitions in the system?​
What kind of resources does the player have to spend to cover gaps?​

D&D kind of flops on all of these. Games that allow players more narrative control, and/or have resources players can spend in a fairly broad manner will do better at this.

In Fate, a character can almost always find a way to at least create an advantage for someone - and this is the normal mode for addressing Big Bad Threats - rather than plink away with a bunch of small independent efforts that might hit or miss, like in D&D, you cooperate to create a great many advantages, and stack them up on one cinematic successful blow. Cortex+ has some similar mechanics for handing reliable and useful bennies to other players. Moves in Apocalypse World games have very broad definitions - so long as you can make a description within the bounds, an action has a chance.

Swords of the Serpentine has points a character can spend to assist cinematic actions in a way the player can expect will have impact, when in D&D, the player would have no expectation of success - I played in a game where the party was fighting a naga-like creature. It was devastating us. I would up in a situation where I looped a rope around its neck, and jumped out a window while holding the rope - there's no clear rule for this sort of nonsense in D&D.

There are things you can do with D&D to move it in this direction - allow characters to add proficiency bonus based on the action being within their general class shtick, or within their background, to cover when the character doesn't have skill - or just give everybody more skills! Allow characters to build up more than one Inspiration at a time, and spend them when they need them to try something risky.

I know some game systems give a bonus to dramatic actions. You could do something like that. It would encourage varied tactics bcause too much repetition causes things to stop being dramatic

As a DM?

Your best course of action is to include environmental things in encounters that can be interacted with.

Levers to pull. Statues to topple. Cauldrons to tip over. Vats of acid to shatter. Ropes to swing from. Platforms to leap from. Ritual books to activate. Strange potions to drink. Pits to activate or shove enemies into. Magic items linked to the BBEG that when messed with, weaken him. Horns to blow. Arbelests to man. Etc etc etc.

I love including these in big set piece battles (without over using them) and in smaller encounters as well.

I once staged a super deadly fight vs some vampires in a run down town (post apocalyptic style). The plumbing had broken leaving a river of water across the back third of the room, there was ruined debris everywhere, magical darkness and a hole in one wall that led to an adjoining house.

The PCs didnt think to use the water or the neighbouring house to their advantage vs the Vampires.

Li Shenron

Legend
So my question to the board is this: Have you seen another player fall into this trap? And if so, what's the best course of action? Should you offer advice and point out other options? Or is it not worth the risk of activating the old, "Dude, let me play my own character?"

Well as I player my favourite class is Wizard, and my favourite Fighter subclass is Battlemaster, so I don't think that's my own style of playing. But as a DM I let players play the way they want. Of course if they start complaining they haven't much else to do, or if they seem to be getting bored, I can point out what other actions they can try.

Remove ads