Brian Lewis, original legal drafter of the OGL, speaks out

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Not quite. The 4th Edition GSL did push Paizo into doing what they were already planning on doing, create their own Pathfinder game. And it was a very successful game. However, Pathfinder sales didn't eclipse D&D sales until AFTER 4th Edition stopped publication and WotC wasn't producing ANY D&D content for a while. As soon as they started up with 5th Edition, Pathfinder slipped back down to second place.
It took some digging around, but this is what I was talking about. It's a graph of the top five TTRPGs over the years, from 2004 to 2019. It shows D&D tied with Paizo in 1st place late around late 2010, when D&D Essentials was released. Pathfinder then drops to 2nd place for a few months, before rising to the #1 slot for more than 3 years.

So, yep, that checks out: Wizards of the Coast stopped publishing 4E material in 2010, and Pathfinder rose to #1 immediately thereafter.

1673470487142.png

Here's the other one I was looking for, also with the Top Five games over the years, but with key events (such as release dates) marked.
1673470741809.png

It's interesting to look at for a couple of reasons.

One, Pathfinder jumped to 2nd Place immediately as it was released, meaning it already had a huge fan base ready to support it. A fan base at least as large and as active as the previous #2 slot (Warhammer 40K, which was considered at the time to be the "next-best-thing" to playing D&D.) I'd wager that those fans are still there, with plenty of reinforcements...especially if this ENWorld poll is to be believed.

Two, D&D shot up from 6th place all the way to 1st place in just three months after 5E was just announced, allowing it to debut in 2nd place behind Pathfinder. I had been genuinely worried for the D&D brand, and things had been going poorly for them for years-- it was a relief to see so many players and third-party publishers return to D&D after all that time. I wonder how much of that immediate resurrection was due to the less-restrictive OGL, and the influence of third-party publishers? And how much of that was from 4E's fans, rushing to buy up the last of the 4E books before they were gone forever?
Still, your point stands . . . WotC's open license shenanigans during the 4th Edition probably did have a lot to do with making Pathfinder the success it was. And their current shenanigans with the new "OGL" is already pushing publishers to create their own systems and new, truly open, licenses. The situation isn't identical, but history does seem to be repeating itself . . . .
Yup, I agree.

Last edited:

overgeeked

B/X Known World
It took some digging around, but this is what I was talking about. It's a graph of the top five TTRPGs over the years, from 2004 to 2019. It shows D&D tied with Paizo in 1st place late around late 2010, when D&D Essentials was released. Pathfinder then drops to 2nd place for a few months, before rising to the #1 slot for more than 3 years.

So, yep, that checks out: Wizards of the Coast stopped publishing 4E material in 2010, and Pathfinder rose to #1 immediately thereafter.

View attachment 272101

Yup, I agree. Here's the other one I was looking for, also with the Top Five games over the years, but with key events (such as release dates) marked.
View attachment 272102
It's interesting to look at for a couple of reasons.

One, Pathfinder jumped to 2nd Place immediately as it was released, meaning it already had a huge fan base ready to support it. A fan base at least as large and as active as the previous #2 slot (Warhammer 40K, which was considered at the time to be the "next-best-thing" to playing D&D.) I'd wager that those fans are still there, with plenty of reinforcements...especially if this ENWorld poll is to be believed.

Two, D&D shot up from 6th place all the way to 1st place in just three months after 5E was just announced, allowing it to debut in 2nd place behind Pathfinder. I had been genuinely worried for the D&D brand, and things had been going poorly for them for years-- it was a relief to see so many players and third-party publishers return to D&D after all that time. I wonder how much of that immediate resurrection was due to the less-restrictive OGL, and the influence of third-party publishers? And how much of that was people rushing to buy up the last of the 4E books, before they were gone forever?
Also, importantly, I think…it was less crunchy than the leading alternative.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Based on Eric Mona's comments on that Age of Worms stream earlier, it doesn't look like there's been any real change there.
Maybe not for Eric Mona, but a lot of the folks working at Paizo now are former 4e writers. I’m sure at least some of them are fine with 4e, and you can see some noticeable 4e influence on PF2’s design.

Michael Linke

Adventurer
It also means he's not exactly an impartial third party in this dispute. Just something to keep in mind.
I really hope the major 3pp manage to create a strong front against WotC's abuse.
In this case, I don't think it matters. They're not describing a means for Paizo to continue to have unfettered use of the 3.x SRD via OGL 1.0/a, they're describing drafting a new license so that original game systems can continue to operate on the open source model. It doesn't directly benefit Paizo in anyway except in garnering good will.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The last time Hasbro threatened the OGL, Paizo became the #1 selling tabletop RPG company and made a lot of money.
Maybe history is poised to repeat itself?

. However, Pathfinder sales didn't eclipse D&D sales until AFTER 4th Edition stopped publication and WotC wasn't producing ANY D&D content for a while.

Mod Note:
Folks,
We've seen this crop up before in the OGL threads - let us not get into arguments about who sold best, when. It doesn't actually matter here, and tends to become acrimonious.

Maybe not for Eric Mona, but a lot of the folks working at Paizo now are former 4e writers. I’m sure at least some of them are fine with 4e, and you can see some noticeable 4e influence on PF2’s design.
Eric was specifically talking about the values of Paizo and how much they value open gaming. He also said that they can't be expected to have a coherent response so soon when it impacts their business so deeply, but to expect an announcement soon, and that we'd REALLY hear it.
That's what I'm referring to. I don't expect Paizo to make a side deal.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Eric was specifically talking about the values of Paizo and how much they value open gaming. He also said that they can't be expected to have a coherent response so soon when it impacts their business so deeply, but to expect an announcement soon, and that we'd REALLY hear it.
That's what I'm referring to. I don't expect Paizo to make a side deal.
Oh! I totally misunderstood you initially. Yeah, I think you’re spot on here.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases