Bright Light / Dim Light

Parlan

First Post
Re-reading the 4e rules, I can't make sense out of light sources. All light sources have a radius, and pretty much every one provides bright light. So far, so good.

But what happens beyond the radius of that light? There's no mention of the bright light becoming dim light for example. Does the light just stop and become total darkness?

Apologies if this has been asked before. If so, links to the threads would be much appreciated.

fba827

Adventurer
Beyond the radius of the light (bright or not) there is basically no light.
This does seem a little counter-intuitive (that light should disipate rather than stop abruptly at range) but I think this was done for simplicity.

A house rule I have seen mentioned more than once is that "Beyond the radius for bright light, it is dim light for half as many squares as the bright's radius.." (or something like that). So something that is bright light for 10 squares would be 5 squares beyond that of dim light, and then no light.

Kaloran

First Post
i think that ...the dim light radius is included in the light radius ... if i take same example of 10 squares radius light ... then ..first half of the radius (starting from the light source) is bright light ... and then its become dim light ... ... but the easiest way is ... things in the radius=visible .. outside radius=not visible ...

Smeelbo

First Post
Light Sources said:
Radius: A light source illuminates...all squares within the range...For example, if you carry a torch, bright light illuminates...5 squares in every direction.
As written, light sources provide NO illumination outside their radius, but many groups house rule that bright light sources illuminate dim light out to half again their radius. This house rule favors chacters with low light vision.

Smeelbo

Parlan

First Post
We do something similar, we treat the last square to be dim light. Simple, with the least amount of changes to core.

Great suggestions everyone. Thank you.

My instinct is to either have a "1/2 radius of dim light" or do a sort of hybrid between Lakoda and Oompa and add one square to all the radii, but make the last 2 squares dim light.

mattdm

First Post
Here's how we do it:

In the game world, light behaves just like real world light. It decreases smoothly as you move away from the light source — no silly lines.

However, in combat, the light source is considered to be part of the abstraction, just like to-hit bonuses and AC defenses and hit points and all the rest. The radius of illumination is a convenient, quick demarcation of where the light is considered to cross the threshold into too dim to be helpful to the combatants.

Silverwave

First Post
In real life, a light source like a torch, a campfire or a lantern really ends abruptly. All the radius in the light is normally "bright light" and all that is outside the radius is really dark.
In fact, the darkness is even more...well... dark when you're standing inside a light zone. So, the rules, as they are, are pretty accurate IMO.

If you don't beleive me, well, try it next time you go to camping. You'll see what I mean :p

mischa84

First Post
Thanks a lot. I tried to post something VERY similar yesterday but my internetconnection seems to be a little ill.

My DM and I still wonder how the mechanics should work: as proposed he took the mini for an invisible enemy from the battlegrid, but what if you fight in darkness or if one PC and one NPC are invisble?
It is not possible to hide the positions and have effects like: If they are standing in the same square they become visible;

Do you have any problems or thoughts about it?
Is there already a thread about it? (Cause I really don't find a search button anywhere)

Remove ads