D&D (2024) bring back the pig faced orcs for 6th edition, change up hobgoblins & is there a history of the design change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
FWIW, even Star Trek tends to introduce new species as a metaphor for some aspect of humanity. "They're like humans, but more [hat]." The interesting species are the ones we see more of - because one of the ways they are like humans is that they're diverse.

I personally use Star Trek as my model for how races/ancestries in rpgs should be treated. They can have a hat, but they should never be a hat.
I wonder if humans would have a hat by others standards?

I was thinking more out hat like we get the war guys the scholar guys and so what one is ours.
Probably varies with their own perspective. To Vulcans, we're the emotional-artistic race. To Klingons, we're the happy-go-lucky race. To Romulans, we're the degenerate reflection race.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Probably varies with their own perspective. To Vulcans, we're the emotional-artistic race.
Erm... I’m pretty sure Vulcans experience emotions much more intensely than humans. They just actively suppress them because their extreme emotions historically lead to conflict and war. (Also they have have such a degree of conscious control over their own brains that they can prevent themselves from producing the neurotransmitters that produce undesired emotional experiences).

Oofta

Legend
FWIW, even Star Trek tends to introduce new species as a metaphor for some aspect of humanity. "They're like humans, but more [hat]." The interesting species are the ones we see more of - because one of the ways they are like humans is that they're diverse.

I personally use Star Trek as my model for how races/ancestries in rpgs should be treated. They can have a hat, but they should never be a hat.
I think the "aliens are humans with rubber prosthetics" is one of the worst aspects of Star Trek. I think it makes no sense in sci-fi, I think it makes even less sense in fantasy. Of course, making non-human have a truly alien perspective is difficult. 🤷‍♂️

S'mon

Legend
I was thinking more out hat like we get the war guys the scholar guys and so what one is ours.
The Bonobos think we're the "No sex please, we're human" guys.
The Chimps think we're the squishy cardboard people disposable mook guys, like the Sicarians in Guardians of the Galaxy.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I think the "aliens are humans with rubber prosthetics" is one of the worst aspects of Star Trek. I think it makes no sense in sci-fi, I think it makes even less sense in fantasy. Of course, making non-human have a truly alien perspective is difficult. 🤷‍♂️
assuming it is an organic sapient entity that could be the product of evolution by default we would have a lot in common.

what is it you strictly dislike about it?

I much prefer the Star Trek approach to aliens, and that might be because I am a person of colour. I think the original idea from the 60's of it being an idealized future where not only a Japanese man, a black woman and a Russian can be part of the crew (coming from a time when those things were almost unthinkable), but so can an alien like Spock. And I feel D&D idea of an adventuring party of different races/species always taps into that idea from Star Trek.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads