D&D (2024) Bring back the small shield (also, a rapier fix)

Horwath

Legend
1. buckler, tied to light armor proficiency.
+1 AC
it straps to you forearm.
you can use your hand with buckler for attacking, but you do not get AC bonus until start of your next turn.

2. Heavy shield, tied to heavy armor proficiency.
+3 AC
min str 15
disadvantage on stealth and acrobatics
+5ft speed. or -15ft speed if STR us too low,

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Dual wielder feat grants +1 to AC when wielding two weapons. +1s do exist, they’re just used sparingly.
That’s a feat, though, not part of the base game. The play test indicates that feats might be part of a new background system, but notably Dual Wielder isn’t among the feats presented.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
That’s a feat, though, not part of the base game. The play test indicates that feats might be part of a new background system, but notably Dual Wielder isn’t among the feats presented.
Well they only presented 1st level feats. I will be very surprised if dual wielder doesn’t make a return, though potentially with some tweaks. Anyway, point is, +1s, +2s, and +5s do exist in 5e. They’re just rare.

pnewman

Adventurer
As Charlaquin said, that's basically what the Defensive Duel feat does, and I feel that attaching such feature to a weapon for free would be too powerful.
It is not totally free because you would have to be proficient with shields to use it. Part of becoming proficient with shields is learning how to move them to get in the way of attacks. That is a parry in D&D terms.

Olrox17

Hero
It is not totally free because you would have to be proficient with shields to use it. Part of becoming proficient with shields is learning how to move them to get in the way of attacks. That is a parry in D&D terms.
I mean, it’s free if your class starts with shield prof, and many do.
That said, giving such a feature to shields is not something I’m opposed to, as long as similarly powerful features are also given to two handed weapons, dual wielders, etc.

The weakest combat feat?

That benefit should have been a weapon property any
As a feat (not even an half feat...), it's pathetic. As a free weapon property, it could be too good, at least compared to the weapon properties we currently have.

Yaarel

He Mage
I feel the standard shield should have the "moderate armor" property that reduces the amount of Dexterity AC bonus that a character can benefit from.

Then, the punching buckler has the "light armor" property.

The tower shield has the "heavy armor" property to nullify the Dexterity AC bonus.

It is difficult for me to imagine a hyper-Dexterous character whizzing around with a heavy shield.

Remove ads