D&D 5E Bringing forward the capstone class features to 13th or 15th level

Ash Mantle

Adventurer
Here's me just spitballing.
With so many official D&D 5e adventures ending at 15th level, and with the majority ending at just 10th, 11th, 12th or 13th level, what are people's thoughts on bringing forward the capstone class features to either 13th level or 15th level?
This'll also mean bringing forward the other class features to come online earlier, with the intention for less of a stretching out of the class/subclass. With DotMM, which does end at 20th level, you could possibly integrate epic boons into their class features?

reelo

Hero
I'd go as far as to say the next edition should completely front-load classes again, like in pre-3E days. Give each class all of its features and abilities, and make them just get better or more reliable throughout the levels.
This would instantly remove the childish need for "builds" and planning out a whole PC career.

mortwatcher

Explorer
I'd go as far as to say the next edition should completely front-load classes again, like in pre-3E days. Give each class all of its features and abilities, and make them just get better or more reliable throughout the levels.
This would instantly remove the childish need for "builds" and planning out a whole PC career.

but that just sounds extremely boring

5ekyu

Hero
Maybe look at the idea of having tiers 3 and 4 each have a list of abilities and getting to pick one at designated levels? Add a bit more customization at those higher tiers - making them more distinct than lowers.

Maybe look at the idea of having tiers 3 and 4 each have a list of abilities and getting to pick one at designated levels? Add a bit more customization at those higher tiers - making them more distinct than lowers.
The distinction and idea of tiers is less important and relevant in 5e I feel.

RSIxidor

Adventurer

I don't hate this.

At the same time, I like having choices to make as my character progresses. If there's a spot in between the two, I think I'd really like that a lot. Perhaps your underlying ability in various class abilities is improved at a slow pace and at certain levels you can choose to improve one or more particular abilities significantly.

Alternative to that is having choices of abilities at certain levels, which many 5E classes/subclasses don't get to have.

mortwatcher

Explorer
How do you figure?

having significant bumps in power while your characters grow seems more fun to me than just adding another +X as I get more levels (ofc. casters still had their large bumps every time new spells unlocked)

You'd qualify OD&D up to (and including) AD&D 2E "extremely boring" ?

never played those, but if only advancement for non-casters was adding +1 to their attack, then yes

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Whatever you view the ending level as, I'm in favor of moving the capstone to 2 or 3 levels before that. I've never been a fan of the idea of the last level as some sort of "reward" that you barely use. The reward for reaching the end of the game should be a fitting end to the story and a nice epilogue for your character.

Remove ads