Broken things errata'ed, July 2009

Rechan

Adventurer
So I wonder if GS is now "THE BEST UTILITY IN THE GAME" like it's been crowed to be.

I really pity the guys who built their characters around battleraging now.
Hey, they got to steamroll through stuff before. Now they have to suffer. It's an even thing.

Baumi

Adventurer
Why? You can gain your con as temp HP nearly each round ... instead of gaining a +1 to hit, thats a IMHO still a great bargain. Gaining it multible times per round (pre-errata) was way too much!

One positive thing is that you have more controll over it now, since the mellee monsters could have ignored you while the ranged ones attacked (which gave you no temp hp) and therefore never gained the temp hp's, now its your choice! :cool:

I love the Dual Attack change, finally the Dual Wielding Fighter makes sense to me, since its a great DEFENDER feature because can mark two enemies at once. It also distinguish the dual-wieldig Fighter and Ranger a bit more.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Hey, they got to steamroll through stuff before. Now they have to suffer. It's an even thing.
heh, now the style of the BRV characters changes dramatically they could all out defense before and still have benefit... now they have to hit back instead of gritting there teeth and smiling.

mlund

First Post
These are all wonderful changes. I especially like the fact that Dual Strike is now basically just a vehicle with which to mark two opponents at the same time, for greater stickiness as a Fighter. That's awesome.

I wish they'd give us a fix for the off-hand vs. primary-hand foolishness of some of the double-weapons, though. The Double-Sword is really the offender of record.

- Marty Lund

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Erm--plainly they're clarifying that the intent was to give 3 attacks, not 4, regardless of what the pre-errata version appeared to say. What's the problem?

Pre-errata the intent WAS for 4 attacks, as has been stated by one of the developers here on this forum, and by Cust Serv several times.

That being said, I'm happy with the change, although I wonder if many fighters will keep the power now.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
One positive thing is that you have more controll over it now, since the mellee monsters could have ignored you while the ranged ones attacked (which gave you no temp hp) and therefore never gained the temp hp's, now its your choice! :cool:

The differentiating of ranged attackers was arbitrary and caused too much artificial tactics.... but now BRV, is no longer you surging with energy due to the thrill of danger or your body pumping up in response to risk!

keterys

First Post
The differentiating of ranged attackers was arbitrary and caused too much artificial tactics.... but now BRV, is no longer you surging with energy due to the thrill of danger or your body pumping up in response to risk!

Instead it's surging with energy due to the rage of battle or your body pumping up in response to the thrill of combat? :)

Nail

First Post
FWIW, the problem now with BRV is...you'll not often get to use the +1(or +2) damage to your attacks.

Before, you could rely on getting THP from getting hit before your turn. Your AC was low (chain), and you are the defender, so you are *bound* to get hit during that first round of combat, often before you get to go. After you were hit, you got THPs, and thus when you attacked, got a +1(or +2, with hammers) damage. That was the whole point of going with chain and not tanking up to plate.

Now, you first need to hit to get the THPs.....and by the time your turn comes around again, it's likely (see above) that you'll have been hit, and your THPs are gone. Thus no +1(or +2) damage.

Add to that the fact that you must *hit* to get THPs, thus using a low proficiency weapon (re: hammer) is stupid.

So before, hammer and chain was the way to go. Now? Plate and longsword. Forget the damage bonus: you'll rarely get it.

(sigh)

Rechan

Adventurer
Add to that the fact that you must *hit* to get THPs, thus using a low proficiency weapon (re: hammer) is stupid.
Except that you now get them on a MISS with invigoration powers. Further encouraging a DRV fighter to invest in those if he wants to get the most mileage out of his build.

Remove ads