• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

BSG old and new

I'm sitting watching a original series BSG marathon on SciFi right now (with previews for the D&D 2 movie premiering on TV tomorrow!). Some things struck me:

- The special effects are still decent, and pretty good for their time.
- Most of the original acting is hideously overacted. I much prefer the better acting, and flawed characters, of the new series.
- There are some really bad stories in the original. Let's hope the new series never devolves that far.
- Why is the rag-tag fleet so clean and neat? New series wins again here.
- I think I still prefer the original Starbuck.
- They spend more time in space shooting things in the original. Miss that, too.
- The new cylons may be cooler, but the old guys still have class. "By your command!"
- Undecided on Baltars. They're insane in both series, but the new Baltar has quite a fun sort of insanity to him.

WizarDru

Adventurer
Olgar Shiverstone said:
- They spend more time in space shooting things in the original. Miss that, too.
- The new cylons may be cooler, but the old guys still have class. "By your command!"
- Undecided on Baltars. They're insane in both series, but the new Baltar has quite a fun sort of insanity to him.

I suspect you won't enjoy all that space battling once you get used to them reusing the same shots over and over and over and over. ;)

I like the new Baltar, but I LOVED the sheer 4-color evil-ness of the original Baltar. Plus, he got to say "What OTHER BATTLESTAR?", which may have been the best line in the whole series.

And yes, I miss the original Starbuck, too. I really like the new series much, much more...but the old one has the glint of nostalgia...even if it is the Book of Mormon. ;)

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Olgar Shiverstone said:
True, but I love the tension added in the new shouw by the fact that they have limited Vipers and ammo. If they went off shooting each week, they'd be out of both before the end of the season.

I miss Lucifer. I helped my brother build a Lucifer costume for Halloween when we were kids. I wired up a set of lights blinking at random on a chickenwire frame, wrapped it in purple cellophane and mounted it to a paper mache mask that my brother constructed.

Undecided on Baltars. They're insane in both series, but the new Baltar has quite a fun sort of insanity to him.
I prefer the new conflicted Baltar to the megalomaniac, but it was nice having a BBEG to hiss at.

Rotogar

First Post
WizarDru said:
II really like the new series much, much more...but the old one has the glint of nostalgia...even if it is the Book of Mormon. ;)

As a card carrying Latter-Day Saint, I am curious how you picked up the influences. :D

'Cause they infuences certainly are there (shaken and stired, of course) but I wouldn't expect many to notice.

Lon

Steel_Wind

Legend
In the 70s, BSG was okay. Given the lack of SF at the time, that passed for "good".

In the 21st Century in a 300 channel universe awash in SF, the new BSG (GINO if you prefer) is the best damn show on TV.

There isn't anything - and I mean anything - in the old show that the new show does not do ten times better.

TanisFrey

First Post
Rotogar said:
As a card carrying Latter-Day Saint, I am curious how you picked up the influences. :D

'Cause they infuences certainly are there (shaken and stired, of course) but I wouldn't expect many to notice.

Lon
They are mentioned in the commintary on the DVD of the origional series

Wolf72

Explorer
WizarDru said:
I like the new Baltar, but I LOVED the sheer 4-color evil-ness of the original Baltar. Plus, he got to say "What OTHER BATTLESTAR?", which may have been the best line in the whole series.

I like both, and that quote was fantastic ... It would be worth it to hear one of the uppity cylons get a bit riled about 2 battlestars. I kinda miss the old uniforms, their jackets seemed kinda cool (the tan flight suit on the other hand was a bit too 70's)

Olgar Shiverstone said:
I'm sitting watching a original series BSG marathon on SciFi right now (with previews for the D&D 2 movie premiering on TV tomorrow!). Some things struck me:

- The special effects are still decent, and pretty good for their time.
That's because they used models, not CGI. (Obviouisly -- there was no CGI back then.)

Model-based special effects, if done well, hold up much, much better than any sort of animation. It will be interesting to see how we look back on the special effects from today's Battlestar, 30 years from now.

WizarDru

Adventurer
Joshua Randall said:
That's because they used models, not CGI. (Obviouisly -- there was no CGI back then.)

Model-based special effects, if done well, hold up much, much better than any sort of animation. It will be interesting to see how we look back on the special effects from today's Battlestar, 30 years from now.

Well, I think it's a question of more than just technology. Some movies from the 50s and 60s have aged well, while some shows from more recent times haven't. Babylon 5 has held up well, 12 years down the line, as has a movie like Silent Running or Aliens. It's more a question of how well they did it at the time.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads