D&D 5E Build a Better Psion (Poll)

Which Core Race should we use as a template for our Psion class?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I voted Sorcerer if you're doing a bit of refluffing.

If you're going with a rewrite warlock.
Kinda both...but neither, really. The intent is to use this like a template in Word or something. Keep the formatting, but replace all of the "Lorem ipsm" stuff with our new class. The current leader is Warlock, so a lot of us are already grinding on a full-spell progression class with fewer spells of higher power, and faster recovery.

Zardnaar

Legend
Kinda both...but neither, really. The intent is to use this like a template in Word or something. Keep the formatting, but replace all of the "Lorem ipsm" stuff with our new class. The current leader is Warlock, so a lot of us are already grinding on a full-spell progression class with fewer spells of higher power, and faster recovery.

Yeah I used the warlock template to do a warlord. Invocations become class features/powers, spellcasting stays the same or gets replace with more martial/4E type powers.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Voted Monk. I'd like the Psion to have the simplicity of X power points and Y powers to use these points on. I also like the idea of making the Psion feel different by having each power have various functions based on how much you power it up rather than just doing more damage or affecting more people.

While the warlock isn't a bad idea, its got a more complex combination of...

1. Always available low level spells.
2. Always on powers that aren't spells.
3. Powers that aren't spell slots that recharge after long/short rests.
4. Spell slots you can use to access a small list of chosen powers that refill on short rests.

...which is actually a pretty inelegant design.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
How about a Sorcerer chassis that uses Spell Points instead of spell slots?

(I should play a sorcerer to see if there are any inherent stumbling blocks in the design, come to think of it.)

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Voted Monk. I'd like the Psion to have the simplicity of X power points and Y powers to use these points on. I also like the idea of making the Psion feel different by having each power have various functions based on how much you power it up rather than just doing more damage or affecting more people.

While the warlock isn't a bad idea, its got a more complex combination of...

1. Always available low level spells.
2. Always on powers that aren't spells.
3. Powers that aren't spell slots that recharge after long/short rests.
4. Spell slots you can use to access a small list of chosen powers that refill on short rests.

...which is actually a pretty inelegant design.
Yep, those are all points worth considering. It might help to balance it if there were replacement options for the Eldritch Invocations and the Mystic Arcanum abilities of Warlocks, depending on what gets brewed up...but these four points will remain.

(I should play a sorcerer to see if there are any inherent stumbling blocks in the design, come to think of it.)
I'm playing a sorcerer right now in my wife's D&D campaign, and I like it...at mid levels. At low levels, it is very much a "five minute workday" class but it starts to come into its own around 6th level. (shrug) Not a bad model for a psion either, come to think of it.

Zardnaar

Legend

I'm thinking of a quick and dirty version of that as a placeholder.

Uses bard spell list, 3.5 focus and if you want to be a psychokineticist you can pick evocation wizards spells kinda like the divine soul sorcerer.

Shiroiken

Legend

The biggest issue with using spell points in a game with other casters using spell slots, is that it exacerbates the issue of the 5 minute work day. It's generally better to blow you spell points for high level spells, and relying on your cantrips, than it is to have a balanced spread the way other casts. I've had experience with this in 3.5E psion, which quickly led to it being banned.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
While I don't want there to be a Psion class, if there is going to be one I'd like it to be closer to Monk than other classes.

I don't want it to be a caster, esp. a full caster.

We don't need another class that's just going to pull from the same spell list. We have a ton of those. The alternative to have 30+ special powers to replace spells is far too complicated and involved. It's also going to involve giving them a lot of spell points which they need to micro-manage throughout the day.

Instead, look at the Monk. They get 1 Ki per level refreshed on a short rest.

They start off with a bunch of abilities they can spend Ki on. At 5th level they get another one. Subclasses give them a couple more (not counting 4E which is a mess).

That's all a Psion needs to feel unique. Their abilities can be weighted more towards subclasses as needed as well.

People like the martial type Psion I think. Well we don't want that and a full spellcaster. Or even a half spellcaster for that matter, people dislike the spells the Ranger gets.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
(Edit: yeah, ultimately, I suppose there could be 4 templates for D&D classes:
The Full Caster
The half Caster
The 1/3rd caster
...and The Warlock
.)

What would the secondary templates for every class be?
Channel Divinity
Rage/Wildshape
Ki/Sorcerery Points
Invocations/Infusions
Bardic Inspiration
Extra Attack/Sneak Attack
After that it kind of breaks down. Then again the Ranger is known to be dissatisfying and and the Wizard doesn't do much other than cast spells.

Remove ads