Level Up (A5E) Building a Setting: How do Narrators and writers handle ancestries not covered by A5E heritages?

How do you handle ancestries A5E doesn't natively cover?

• Reskin exsting a5e Culture and Heritage combination

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Homebrew or 3PP of choice.

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Advise use of O5E race/species

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Create your own version

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

I've never been a fan of reskinning personally. If I want something different from what's offered, I find a different version or I make the changes myself.
it does depend on the context, really. like, if i'm not including the heritage being reskinned anyway, but i can use the mechanics for something i do want.

again, zevites as gith is a great example of this (for if you're running a WOTC[-adjacent] setting, like the [doomed ;)] forgotten realms).

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
As the person who pitched and wrote the Zevites:

They're Githyanki and Githzerai.

I don't mean you should reskin them as those things. I mean I literally made them -to be- Githyanki for A5e because Githyanki are not part of WotC's Open Content. They're Product Identity, so EN Publishing cannot use them.

So I made Zevites to fulfill the same narrative role so EN Publishing could have "Gith" as a core heritage.

So my answer to the above poll is, clearly, write up a new version when I can't use the original because of IP Laws. >.>

Faolyn

(she/her)

I don't mean you should reskin them as those things. I mean I literally made them -to be- Githyanki for A5e because Githyanki are not part of WotC's Open Content. They're Product Identity, so EN Publishing cannot use them.

So I made Zevites to fulfill the same narrative role so EN Publishing could have "Gith" as a core heritage.

So my answer to the above poll is, clearly, write up a new version when I can't use the original because of IP Laws. >.>
I did the exactly the same for the Star-Rovers in my Handbook of Heritages.

So if anyone wants to play a gith, they're spoiled for choice! ;)

Deadmanshand

Explorer
I shamelessly steal. I have most of the 1e, 2e, 3e and o5e books. I convert the information from the original source into the LU5E format. This is very easily done for heritage, but I may have to get creative with the gifts. This is where I look at existing gifts to ensure I maintain the power balance. I use the LU5E cultures as much as possible, but if necessary I create new ones. Between regular D&D expanded races, Dragonlance, Star Wars and Usagi, I have converted well over fifty heritages (maybe closer to ninety) and a handful of cultures. Some of my players love to Min/Max, others barely know the rules. For this reason, I convert systems to LU5E to streamline game play. This may sound like a lot of work, but if you enjoy world building and are a control freak like me, you can seamlessly mesh these into your campaign. Can you tell that I am a forever GM? I started my main campaign world in 1988 and now run it for my children and their friends.

Chaltab

Explorer

I mean, that's definitely where I'm at with some key choices in the setting guide I'm writing up! Snake people are part of a major political faction in my homebrew world so I had to cover them. I also ended doing my own alteratives for some others because the official a5e versons either didn't exist yet when I started or don't fit thematically. Like my water elemental-kin live primarily on a planet with no landmasses but waterborn Elementaari can't even breath water.

foxblade

Explorer
I mean, that's definitely where I'm at with some key choices in the setting guide I'm writing up! Snake people are part of a major political faction in my homebrew world so I had to cover them. I also ended doing my own alteratives for some others because the official a5e versons either didn't exist yet when I started or don't fit thematically.
You see Sinuous Sentinels by Purple Martin Games yet? It's got the snake folk.

Remove ads