• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Building Cleric Prestige classes

thol

Explorer
I am in the process of building a prestige class for clerics of each of my gods in my homebrew.

I want most of them to have the "+1 to existing class level" for spell progressions.

What do I need to keep in mind in order to balance the rest of the abilities of the classes so that they are not overpowered? Should I change the save progressions? The BAB? Or just be careful what kind of powers I give?

There must be some sort of guideline for this, and I'm hoping the folks experienced with designing prestige classes can lend me some of their knowledge.

irdeggman

First Post
Unfortuneatly there are no "real" guidelines on this. All you candois look at similar presitge classes and try to make them match.

Assuming this is 3.5 - in order to qualify for a prestige class the character must be at least 5th level (i.e., 6th level to take the first level of the prestige class). (DMG pg 197 under the sectin titles "Designing a prestige class") This isn't in the SRD.

thol said:
I am in the process of building a prestige class for clerics of each of my gods in my homebrew.

I want most of them to have the "+1 to existing class level" for spell progressions.

What do I need to keep in mind in order to balance the rest of the abilities of the classes so that they are not overpowered? Should I change the save progressions? The BAB? Or just be careful what kind of powers I give?

There must be some sort of guideline for this, and I'm hoping the folks experienced with designing prestige classes can lend me some of their knowledge.
It´s difficult, because there is not much you can take from a Cleric... :)
Stopping the Turning Advancement will probably not make Divine Metamagic away. Losing Domain Access or Spontaneous Casting of Cure/Inflict spells could be a good way, because that will hurt. As will weaker Saving Throws, weaker BAB and lower HD.

+1 existing class levels indicates to me that the focus is spellcasting. If so, reducing the BAB and the HD is a good way to go. You could also add abilties that limit some of the other cleric benefits - maybe abilities that suffer from using armor (armor check penalty, speed or arcane spell failure), but obviously, anything should be reasonable, otherwise it makes little sense.

A common balancing technique is requiring "absurd" skills and feats, typically those that don´t benefit most Clerics. If you require two or three skills at a high rank value (8 ranks or more), this will make it difficult for the Cleric to max his primary skills (espcially Concentration). Cross Class ranks is another way. Unusual feats and those hard to qualify for (for a Cleric, examples are Dodge, Combat Expertise and the follow up feats).
I am not sure if this method is a good idea, though, because at high levels, the entry costs don´t matter that much, benefitting PCs starting at a high level.

I think reducing the Base Attack Bonus and/or the HD should still be sufficient for most cases, but it will not always fit. (But if the focus is more on melee combat, you should consider reducing the spell progression).

(Never make the mistake like with the D&D 3.0 hospitaler - a class designed for Paladin, but perfectly usable for a Cleric/Paladin, too, granting full spell progression, a good HD and good BAB and Paladin abilities all in one package)

seans23

First Post
thol said:

ReduceBAB, HD, and/or Save Progression.

+1 spellcasting means that their Turning Level won't progress, which is fairly significant.

Hi prereqs will help, too.

For example, the contemplative has a wizard-like BAB, a d6 HD, and weak fortitude and reflex saves. The Knowledge of religion 13 requires a level 10. Also you need to meet your god, or a direct servant.

If you want an overpowered example, The Radiant Servant of Pelor gets a d6 HD, requires a level 6, and gives you everything the Cleric has and more. I can't think of any reason why a cleric of Pelor wouldn't become a Radiant Servant (unless he really wants to improve his knowledge of the planes skill or something).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads