Burn Bryte is an RPG by Roll20

Roll20 is launching a sci-fi RPG designed specifically for its own platform. Burn Bryte, launches on July 7th, and features characters living on a spaceship in the last galaxy in the universe. You can pre-order it now for $49.99. The galaxy is surrounded by the Burn (not to be confused with the Burn in The Cauldron, which starts in the middle of the galaxy and spreads out!) which is closing...

Roll20 is launching a sci-fi RPG designed specifically for its own platform. Burn Bryte, launches on July 7th, and features characters living on a spaceship in the last galaxy in the universe. You can pre-order it now for $49.99.

BurnByte-Olaxis Galaxy.png

The galaxy is surrounded by the Burn (not to be confused with the Burn in The Cauldron, which starts in the middle of the galaxy and spreads out!) which is closing in on it and wiping everything out as it does so.

Here's a quick summary from the designers:

"In Burn Bryte, the players build heroic characters who live together on a spaceship in the Olaxis Galaxy, a place of tenacious creatures and magic-powered tech. Its ancient celestial bodies are dotted with bygone mysterious ruins and highly advanced modern settlements.

Olaxis is the last galaxy in the universe. A bright orange existence-consuming phenomenon, dubbed the Burn, surrounds and slowly closes in on Olaxis, wiping out entire solar systems as it makes its slow, inevitable advance.

With the Burn’s unrelenting destruction comes all manner of hardship. Resources grow scarce. Refugees struggle to find welcoming spaceports. Wars are fought over the planets at Olaxis’s center, the last to be taken by the Burn, while the ever-diminishing edge of the galaxy is rife with criminals and bizarre, space-faring monsters pushed ever inward by the glowing phenomenon from parts unknown.

In the time of the Burn, or the “Burn Bryte,” as it is known in Olaxis, the galaxy panics. Exceptionally greedy industrialists and magnates exploit that terror for profit.

But the player characters are exceptional in their generosity. They put themselves at risk to help those in need, slicing corruption with laser swords and exploding wickedness with missile turrets. The end of the universe is no reason to stop having a heart. Overwhelming odds are no reason to abandon hope.

In Burn Bryte, you can play a crystalline pilot who hunts space pirates, a felinoid hacker who exposes overguild double-dealings, a living mecha who rescues those trapped on doomed planets, or a swarm of insects who share a hivemind and smuggle food and medicine to desperate families. If your crew of adventurers is daring enough, you just might find a way to stop⁠—or even turn back⁠—the Burn."

You can read about the core mechanics over on James Introcaso's blog. It's a skill-based system, and each of the 18 skills have a die type associated with it (d4, d6, etc.) which you roll to perform a task. A task has a 'complexity', which is the number of dice you have to roll. The goals to avoid rolling doubles.

The game is designed for Roll20 specifically -- you can't download it and play it at the table.

Jeff Carpenter

Adventurer
The link to the mechanic blog didnt work. I get why designers want to come up with new mechanics, but this one seems backwards. Intuitively roll high is the easiest to grasp. Even trying to get doubles kind of works. But a mechanic where you avoid something is less exciting for me.

To try and explain it better I want to try and achieve something with my roll not avoid something.

I guess my achievement is to roll unique numbers, but I would be happier with if I needed doubles and I rolled four dice and three of them were 4s. Like I showed the dice gods who was boss. "Come at me bro I can roll anything". In a critical part of the game rolling a 1 a 4 a 6 and a 2 just doesn't feel as satisfying.

Like in 5e when I have advantage and roll two 20s. It has no mechanical differences than a single 20 but I feel like a badass.

But maybe that's just me.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
"Core mechanics":

The game is designed for Roll20 specifically -- you can't download it and play it at the table.
I suspect that you wouldn't want to play Burn Bryte at the table, because you'd be hunting for dice from the dice-bowl for most of the session. That, and the rest of the game is optimized for Roll20 use...which you could play at the table if everyone (or at least one person) had a tablet or laptop connected to the host's wi-fi...

What got me interested was this line:
Burn Bryte uses the power of Roll20 to let players . . . run white-knuckle spaceship battles with every player participating in a meaningful way, customize a spaceship together. . .
Since ENworld had a recent thread on making piloting interesting for all players, I'd like to see how BB approaches it.

aaronm

Explorer
Given Roll20's oft-discussed slow roll out of new features -- and platforms like Astral breathing down their neck -- this doesn't seem like the best thing for them to be spending time on. The price of entry also seems way too high; high enough to ensure this will never be more than a niche product.

Maybe I'm wrong, and they are going to be able to deliver platform integration that makes for a compelling experience., but even as a Roll20 subscriber I have a hard time seeing this as anything other than hubris.

I'm interested, but I'm with aaronm....Roll20 needs more compendium rulesets and resources for games out there. I'd love to see content for all sorts of games currently missing on Roll20 or only supported in the charactermancer, and would spend $50 on support for the games I have first. But.....the idea of a dedicated "Roll20 only" ruleset sounds intriguing.

Von Ether

Legend
So the genre is Dying Galaxy vs Dying Earth. I know there's Fading Suns, but that game seems more Herbert than Vance. This feels more Vancian gonzo. Which is a plus for me.

Remove ads

Remove ads