[Burning THAC0] B2: The Keep on the Borderlands

Pablohoney

First Post
"I was just telling the good Chevaliers about the need to confront Evil, no matter where it exists. You see, I am from an ancient order of militant priests. I would consider it an honor if I could join you in your quest to these caves!"

At the Friar's words, Avros finally drops his sullen mood. Up to this point, the paladin seemed little more than a mopey Traladaran boy on the road after his family Shearing. In fact, the group hardly even noticed that he had accompanied them to The Slippery Rock. But now, he stands straight, sheared-cloak pulled back to reveal his armor, and the insgnia of Halav above his left breast. He is tall and blonde, and he glows with the strength of youth and confidence. His eyes shine an intense blue as they seek out the Friar's.

I'm going to roll Conspicuous on my instinct with the intent of alerting the Friar to my status as a paladin. (Not sure if I'm doing all this right, so let me know)

Voidrazor

First Post
Vellekhyr hears the howls and gibbering of his prison-mate begin to quiet slowly over time. "NO!!! THE BEES! THEY WILL FLY AWAY WITH THE TURTLE!"

After a while, the man is quiet. "In the ancient days, my forefathers were dragons. No... that's not right. My forefathers, they were of Traladar. Turtles. And priests of the order. Maybe druids, men of the spirits and the woods. And definitely turtles!

"There was a legend about the old man of the hills, east of here, north of here, in the uplands. Dragons used to live here. And people of Traladar. There was a time when we ruled this land, and then we offended the gods! The gods! Or did the gods offend us, the turtles? For that, we lost the land to the bees. Buzz! Buzz!

"One of the immortals is said to live in the hills, and I wanted to see him... but I could not find him. I wandered until the men on the horses brought me here. Maybe the old immortal is under the hills? Like a turtle? I will need a shovel! I will bring a shovel next time. Next time!"

The unseen man in the cell next door lapses back into silence.

After an hour of meditative song, blissful without the interjection of his cellmate, the madman's words begin to eat at Vellekhyr. There was a sense to them beneath the delusion. For a time the elf continues his art, but that nagging part of him continues as well. Finally he asks, "why did you seek an immortal?"

engrishonly

First Post
"Walls offer protection, but they lock away the world. We ask for men to help in our errand. But the evil out there grows, and it grows constantly. Our challenge needs be done, and needs be done soon. You have heard the good Friar. The church is in favour of this mission --" (she hesitates inwardly as she wonders why that might be) "--and I tell you that any favours granted now will be remembered. By me." That last is added almost as an afterthought, but it sounds good, she hopes.

The Captain looks from Constance, to Ferrantos, to Auromos, and then back at Constance. His face betrays no emotion, and he holds up his hand as Auromos begins to speak.

Upon his sturdy desk is a map of the area around the Keep, held down on the table by a silver paperweight, engraved with a stylized gryphon, standing rampant. Polished glass beads are positioned at various places on the map. A worn, old silver locket sits on a corner of the desk, resting atop a lock of dark hair bound by a peacock blue silk ribbon.

Sweeping his hand across the map upon his desk, the Captain says, "You are persuasive, but I am not sure I am convinced about your need. The Chevaliers are men of the horse. We keep the road clear for merchantman and pilgrim alike.

"Tomorrow, the Chevaliers will ride East, to engage the outlaws in the marshes... which should carve out safe passage for you and your companions to go further, to your caves... but I require proof before the Chevaliers stray farther away from the Keep, to these caves you speak of. Bring back evidence to convince me of the need... Otherwise, my duty is clear."

The Captain stands, turns & walks towards an open window to gaze at the Moon.

GM: Alright, I'll think about the Persuasion attempt, with the idea that social skills are not "mind control". I'm not ruling out an attempt, but getting a band of heavy cavalry & knights to ease your initial journey to the caves is a bit much.

GM: Alright, I'll think about the Persuasion attempt, with the idea that social skills are not "mind control". I'm not ruling out an attempt, but getting a band of heavy cavalry & knights to ease your initial journey to the caves is a bit much.

OOC - I think you are correct. We'd probably have to go full on Duel of Wits to convince these guys to help with the Caves, and honestly, I don't think we know enough about the situation or the Chevaliers to make a convincing argument.

Mathalus

First Post
OOC - I think you are correct. We'd probably have to go full on Duel of Wits to convince these guys to help with the Caves, and honestly, I don't think we know enough about the situation or the Chevaliers to make a convincing argument.

ooc - I agree. Although I want to try for a less lofty goal: getting some basic gear so we can help out.

"Sir, we will attempt to do as you have suggested. We'll find some evidence. In the meantime, we can be of service by helping clear out the bandits. I'll take Auromos here to the armory and we'll get the basics on loan. Then we'll be able to deal with the problem with minimal casualties."

When Constance starts to speak about her crazy demands again, Ferrantos gives her an intense look, trying to force his thoughts into her head, "Please don't be so religious/crazy."

ooc - I agree. Although I want to try for a less lofty goal: getting some basic gear so we can help out.

"Sir, we will attempt to do as you have suggested. We'll find some evidence. In the meantime, we can be of service by helping clear out the bandits. I'll take Auromos here to the armory and we'll get the basics on loan. Then we'll be able to deal with the problem with minimal casualties."

When Constance starts to speak about her crazy demands again, Ferrantos gives her an intense look, trying to force his thoughts into her head, "Please don't be so religious/crazy."

Aurvang wanders over, a flagon in each meaty hand. Come offf it nowwww.... yer all toooo seriousss. 'Ave a drink already. Soon enough we'll be 'offin 'eads and covered in blood The dwarf's eyes glaze over at the mention in blood. He abruptly stops speaking, looks from one flagon to the other, mumbles something incoherent, and promptly slams both. As the ale dribbles down his ruddy beard he looks at Ferranatos. I gots all the geearrr I need. But yous might want sumthin too proteckt yer gut He jabs a meaty digit into Ferranatos' stomach. An orc 'll split ye wide open like acrack in granite. His toothy smile appears through his wet whiskers, which he then wipes with the back of his arm. His stumpy neck cranes for a view of the barmaid. Ay! Keep 'um comin' will ye?

engrishonly

First Post
After an hour of meditative song, blissful without the interjection of his cellmate, the madman's words begin to eat at Vellekhyr. There was a sense to them beneath the delusion. For a time the elf continues his art, but that nagging part of him continues as well. Finally he asks, "why did you seek an immortal?"

A more quiet, raspy voice replies to the query of the Elf. "Immortals? I seek the future! The future that leads me out of this cell... but not the physical thing that binds us. No, I speak of the walls of the mind, the labyrinth, this cloud, this sullied mound of turtle flesh. I know things, I've seen the future that casts off the Thyatan bindings upon my people... I've seen the things that are necessary to make Traladar come again. The Immortal of the old hills is said to know things! I know things, but I have too many spiders crawling in my head! They cover the things I know, turn them to poison and darkness... I need the Immortal to unravel the spider webs. They say the Immortal only speaks of the maddening future... but I am already quite upset, you know."

GM: okay, I'm trying to draw together the Thyatan/Traladaran conflict to the expressions of the conflict within the Elven houses. This is why I asked about the Tlielaxu... I am hoping that there's a point in which your ideas converge with the other player characters, and this is one attempt to start down that path.

engrishonly

First Post
ooc - Since it's beginner's luck, it was double ob for them. My 2 successes gave them an Ob 4, correct? (I'm just wondering for mechanics purposes, trying to learn the game, you now?)

Also, should we keep track of all of our own tests? I'll probably will anyways, since i want to learn the advancement rules as well.

GM: As I understand it... Double Obs for them, and then add +1D disadvantage for starting earlier than Aurvang with their drinking... So Obs 5, I think.

And, Yes, I'd prefer you to track your own tests. This forum seems to allow Edits for a long time (unlimited time?) after a post. So whatever works best for you, and do let me know if/when you are ready for advancement.

Okay, time to work out what happens with Aurvang, Avros, the Friar, and the remaining Chevaliers...

GM: As I understand it... Double Obs for them, and then add +1D disadvantage for starting earlier than Aurvang with their drinking... So Obs 5, I think.

And, Yes, I'd prefer you to track your own tests. This forum seems to allow Edits for a long time (unlimited time?) after a post. So whatever works best for you, and do let me know if/when you are ready for advancement.

Okay, time to work out what happens with Aurvang, Avros, the Friar, and the remaining Chevaliers...

OOC: Great! I still would like to make a Drunking test to impress the patrons, maybe the Chevaliers in particular, with my drinking. They seem like a hardy, fun-timey crew with at least some rep in the Keep. If I can impress them that would probably be saying something. What do you say?

Remove ads